Forum Discussion

NatalieWenzelow
Community Member
2 months ago

Black line when changing focal point within cropping tool

Hello! I set up image placeholders in Slide Masters to save time on cropping images. However, when I add an image and try to shift the focal point within the crop tool, I'm getting a black line. I believe this is because the image shifted up or down when I moved it left or right and there's some empty space. It's super hard not to shift it though and to find the right spot where no line will be there. Is there a keyboard key that can be held down to lock it vertically while I shift it horizontally? I'm using Storyline 360.

AndrewHanley
    Community Member

HI Natalie,
    Holding down the SHIFT key will lock any asset either vertically or horizontally.
    That should help you out a bit hopefully!

AndrewHanley
    Community Member

Oh sorry Natalie, I didnt realise you meant actually cropping the image!

The crop tool has this exact functionality!
    Inside the crop tool, just click and drag one of the BLACK RECTANGLES appearing on the sides of your image (not the ones in the corners!) Now you can slide only horizontal or vertical depending on which rectangle you drag.

Like this...

Nedim
    Community Member

The crop box should always stay within the image boundaries. It doesn't matter if the image is shifted to one side or another, as long as the crop box does not extend beyond the edges of the image. Here's a suggested method:

1. First, move the image to the desired position.
    2. Then, adjust the crop box handles to fit within the image area, ensuring it doesn’t extend beyond the image edges.

By following these steps, you can precisely crop the image without exceeding its boundaries. See the attached demo. 

• Here's a video to show my issue. I'm using an image placeholder in Slide Masters rather than cropping an image I've added. So, I'm clicking to add a file and it crops it to the size of the placeholder. Then the only way to change the focal point (that I know of) is opening the crop tool and moving the image around. I want to keep the placement of the image and crop size the same. But it's super hard not to accidentally move it a sliver up or down when the image height is the same size as the crop box. You can't see anything wrong after saving the new crop, but it shows when previewing the slide. I exaggerated in the video just to show what's going on. I know it looks silly that I left a gap, but that was just to show the black line better. Most often, I can't see any gap, but I'm still getting the line because it moved like a pixel off from the top or bottom of the crop box. I'm wondering if there's a way to make sure it stays the same on top and bottom but just move it left and right. I have other developers that are likely going to get a line each time otherwise.

AndrewHanley
    Community Member

Instead of sliding the image, keep the image exactly where it is and use the crop tool guides themselves to go to the exact right side of the image.

Now COME OUT OF CROP MODE and slide the image where ever you want that right hand edge.

Finally. Go back to CROP mode, and USING THE CROP GUIDES ONLY, make the image the size you want.

In other words, never move the image in CROP mode! :)

• Ahhh, thank you, Andrew!! I get what you mean now. :) As long as I check the intended image height and width first, I can move the crop guides to the correct spots, then save and move the image on the slide. WIN! I appreciate your help. Thank you!