Forum Discussion

JeffConn-853842
Community Member
2 years ago

Can a layer play only a segment of a longer audio file?

I have a single audio file that describes 5 terms. After each term is its definition.

I created a slide with 5 layers, one layer for each term and its definition.

When a button on the base layer is pressed, i want to show the associated layer and play the associated audio segment.

I can't figure out how to play only a segment of the audio file.

I tried using 5 cue points, but it plays from the cue point to the end of the audio.

When i show a layer, how do i play only a segment of an audio file?

I figure i can duplicate the audio five times and crop it to a segment, but i imagine there is a better way than increasing file size by duplicating audio file.

• Don't "crop" it. Put it in a dedicated audio editor, (like audacity, or even MS Photos) and trim it . That way, each segment is only a short segment, and you will also get better performance loading them.

• Walt,

Thank you for your feedback. I was hoping there may be a way to play segments from a single audio file (without cropping or breaking the file into individual audio files)

• It occurs to me that you used to be able to specify start and end times of YouTube videos. Of course, YouTube is constantly working to keep us from accessing content on any but their terms, so that may have changed by now. If not, you maybe could work something out that way.