Forum Discussion

SimonRay-7a051d
Community Member
4 months ago

Google Unload Event Depreciation

Hi Articulate Team

I've just been sent an email from our IT department about Google depreciating the Unload Event (?), which according to them, may impact on learners course completions. Below is a segment of the email:

Google has announced a browser change that may prevent your courseware from correctly bookmarking user progress and recording completion when a user navigates away from a course. The unload event will be gradually deprecated starting in Q3 2024 and ending with 100% of sites by Q1 2025. Your courseware may rely on the browser unload event for course communication. Microsoft Edge is built on the same codebase as Chrome and may also be affected. The unload event deprecation will impact a variety of course authoring tools and learning content standards.  Choices such as the device used to launch learning (desktop/mobile), or the launch method (new window/inline) may also impact whether issues are present. 

The following are common scenarios where the unload event deprecation may cause issues: 

• Leaving a course using the Item or My Learning breadcrumb 
  • Leaving a course using the SCORM 2004 navigational buttons 
  • Leaving a course using the browser exit button 
  • Clicking the “Verify Course Completion” button 

Are you able to shed any light on whether this is something to be concerned about with both Rise and SL360 courses?

Cheers

Simon

• Articulate Team,

The Department of Labor is requiring this to be fixed before they will publish my courses.  Can you please provide assistance/guidance?

LaurenConnelly
      Staff

Hello HannahScott-24c! I see that you've reached out to our Support Engineers and are working with my teammate, Christian! You're in great hands. We’ll continue the conversation in your support case!

IreneMonk
      Community Member

Hi is there a public answer Articulate can provide for those that haven't filled out a support ticket?

JoseTansengco
        Staff

Hi Irene,

Sharing with you what our support team shared with Hannah!

"You’re right about the unload event and its deprecation in Chrome. To clarify, while the Rustici driver we use to communicate with LMSs still includes that unload event, both Storyline and Rise 360 don’t rely on it for essential functionality. We’ve already moved away from depending on unload events, recognizing they’re not considered good practice.

As you pointed out, Rise doesn’t depend on unload events, making it a great option for building more browser-friendly, future-proof courses. You can recreate or adapt your courses in Rise 360, which offers a modern, responsive design framework.

Alternatively, you can use Storyline 360 for highly customized interactivity and Rise 360 for a streamlined course-building experience. By embedding Storyline blocks into your Rise courses, you can maintain the interactivity and complexity of your Storyline content within the flexible framework of Rise 360.

This article explains how to embed Storyline 360 courses in Rise 360 and answers common questions about how learners interact with them."
        Feel free to open a case with our support team here if you have further questions or need clarification!