Forum Discussion

KatieHomer-f9ee
Community Member
3 months ago

I'm trying to get a different audio clip to play after navigating back to my main menu to introduce each section

I'm trying to get a different audio clip to play after navigating back to the main menu (built in page) to introduce each section with a different voice over. I cant seem to figure it out. So far I have state changes on the menu buttons after they return from a specific section but I want the voice over to change too. Can anyone help me? thank you

• No, it should not work the same. The way you have it setup, it the learner returns after viewing Lesson 1, the variable is True, and Audio 1 plays. Then, the system keeps going down the trigger list, but Lesson 2 has not been viewed, so it doesn't play Audio 2. Then the learner views Lesson 2 and returns. When the timeline starts, it plays Audio 1 (since Lesson1Viewed is true), and it plays Audio 2 since Lesson2Viewed is now true. In fact, if you were to test by viewing all the lessons, you would probably hear all the audios playing at once.  Each time the timeline starts, the system checks all the triggers associated with the timeline starting. Since the variables are never changed back to False, all the conditions are true, and all the triggers are executed.

Sam's suggestion works because his variable contains the number of the next Audio to play.

But I wonder about this scenario:  The learner visits Lesson 1, and returns. They hear the introduction to lesson 2. But since you have the very admirable intent to make the course learner-centric, they decide to view lesson 3. Now, when they return to the menu, do they hear the Lesson 2 introduction again, or the introduction to lesson 3, which they have just viewed?

My personal preference would be to play the introduction to the Lesson when the menu option is clicked. Then jump to that section When the media (audio) ends, Seems to me to make more sense, while allowing them to choose the lessons in a non-linear fashion, and without you having to keep track of which audio to play.

• Hi Katie,

Are the sections introduced in order or can the user navigate to any section they want before returning to the main menu?

• Its a linear course which makes sense in the order its produced but I want to give the learner the option to navigate through any topic in the side menu. When each section is complete (when they reach the last page in a section I have navigated it back to the menu page). I then want to introduce the next topic with different audio each time the section ends but I also want it to work when they navigate through the topics in a  none sequential order. Im having trouble trying to find a clear tutorial on this, if it makes sense

• Hi Katie, you could use a variable to record where the learner is in the course? When they finish section one, set the variable to 1, section 2, set it to 2 etc. 

Then on your main page, you could have several triggers to play different audio depending on what value is in the trigger. (If the variable = 1, then play the intro to section 2 etc.)

• I'm struggling a little bit I have only used variables briefly would you be kind enough to send me a screen shot? so I can try and figure it out :)?

• Hi Katie, Sure!

You can add a custom variable (screenshot 1+2) and once you have it created, you can set the variable to a value at the end of each section. So at the end of the first section, you can make the variable = 1 (screenshot 3) using the trigger I have shown. Once you go back to your base layer, you can choose which audio file to play using triggers on the base slide (screenshot 4+5). I hope that makes sense, and apologies for the MS paint writing!

• I followed your screen shots but for some reason my audio is still playing 2 audios after one of the sections when I navigate back to the menu and I cant seem to fix not sure why its doing it. I used true instead of 1 as this is how I set my button state change... should it still work the same? here's a screen shot

• Walt's idea would work well and would be a lot more straightforward, I think I misunderstood the original post and made the assumption it was a linear course which unlocked in sequence, hence the solution! You are spot on that it wouldn't make sense if the learner had a free choice about where they were going next.