Community Member
4 years ago

Pausing media when user switches tabs, or minimize the window

Hey Guys,

I've read a similar topic , but it wasn't clear how it was done

can anyone help me.

Than you

• Hi, Ahmad, and welcome to E-Learning Heroes! ✨

Are you looking to publish your project for the web or to a Learning Management System? 

The default behavior when publishing it for the web or Review 360 is the video inserted in Storyline will pause automatically if you switch to a different tab or minimize the browser.

Let me know if you are experiencing something different!

ahmadhabhab
    Community Member

Hello Maria,

Thanks for your reply, i want to publish my project for web...

I will try it now...

but please can you help me with this topic please >>>  here

Thank You.

• Hello,

I am wanting to publish a project to LMS, but I want the users to be able to click a link built into a video and work in another tab while the video continues playing (the video includes a countdown timer and background music for the activity).

Currently all media pauses when the user is in another tab or window which means they are unable to multitask and the timer serves no purpose. 

Is this automatic pause feature something I can disable?

StevenBenassi
      Staff

Hi BAU Team!

I'm happy to share that our development team is tracking a feature request that would allow:

• The option for courses to continue running when learners switch browser tabs or windows.

I've linked this discussion to the feature report so you can be notified as soon as we have updates to share!

MariaEsser
        Community Member

Hi Steven, 

I've stumbled across your post from seven months ago and wanted to know if there are any news about this feature request (I couldn't find anything about it in the feature report). We are currently facing the same problem the other users described as well: We use various questions banks within our training and all of them are timed. As soon as learners switch windows or tabs the timer stops. Our client however wants the timer to continue. Please let me know if there are any updates on this feautre because it would help us a lot.

• Hello, I want to pause media when learners switch browser tabs or windows. How to do this setting? Please help. this is for lms

StevenBenassi
      Staff

Hi Riya!

Happy to help!

I noticed that you've opened a support case and connected with my colleague, Ian. As Ian shared:

There isn't a setting or trigger within Storyline that detects when a learner goes to other tabs or windows. I believe the browser should be able to control this behavior. I've seen folks experiencing this, such as this article for Chrome.

If you're comfortable sharing which LMS is being used, perhaps other members of the community using the same one can offer suggestions. I'll open the floor to them!

• Hi Maria,

Happy to chime in. I understand how this possible feature can benefit you and your organization.

We are still tracking votes for this feature request, and I've added your voice to the feature report. I've informed our product team of your comments, and we'll update this discussion once this feature is available. You'll be among the first to know!