Forum Discussion

PaulSchlage-26b
Community Member
3 months ago

Problems & Errors Messages Saviing and Opening Storyline Projects

Hello everyone,

I have recently been having a lot of problems saving and reopening my Storyline projects.

Since today I get the error message" Project file cannot be saved. Cannot access a disposed object. Object name: 'story package'." There is a thread about this that doesn't really help me: https://community.articulate.com/discussions/articulate-storyline/error-message-saving-file

How can I update Articualate? Does it do this automatically?
I urgently need help, otherwise an important project will break.

JHauglie
    Community Member

Unless I misunderstand your comments, you are experiencing two issues - 1) problems saving and reopening SL projects; 2) updating SL to the current version.

For the first issue, I would verify that there are no components of the story file that are being called from a shared network location (Teams channel, OneDrive/Sharepoint site, network server). Storyline does not like to share resources over any type of network, so make sure that you are working from your local drive (C:\Documents\My Articulate Projects).

I would also confirm that all your Windows updates are current; I know that MS is putting Win10 out to pasture permanently, and if you are still using Win10 I would not be surprised to see this type of behavior, though it's a bit unusual to only see it with Articulate.

Check your computer memory and RAM health, as well. 

If none of these resolve your problem, you are better off opening a support ticket with Articulate given your deadline. They can also help you with your apparent second issue.

Good luck -

• Hi Paul!

Sorry to hear you've run into this setback! Glad to see Joe has been helping you!

As Joe shared, we typically see this error when files aren't being saved locally. Working off of a network or shared drive may cause erratic behavior. Also, the Articulate 360 desktop app should notify you when a new update is available. If you're not seeing the option to update, you can check for updates manually.

If you're still running into trouble, it would be helpful to see a copy of the .story file for testing on our end. Feel free to attach it here in the discussion or privately through a support case.

• Thank you for your feedback and tips. It's still not completely error-free and I'm still checking the whole thing, but your messages definitely provide indicators. I've also already been able to speak to the German Tictac support team. I will do all updates via my IT, switch the files to a completely local folder. At the moment it is local, but IT is constantly synchronising it. In an emergency, I would send you the file via the form.