Forum Discussion

RhonaBlankenshi
Community Member
2 years ago

Pulling Data from LMS

I'm working on a course where I'm using sliders and asking the learner to use the slider to rate their level of confidence. I would like to pull data from this. Is it possible to pull data from how someone interacts with sliders? 

Thanks

RhonaBlankenshi
      Community Member

Justin,

Thanks. I'm going to explore this a bit more. Can you tell me what LMS you use and a bit more on how you pulled the data?

JustinCollinge
        Community Member

Hi there Rhona
        So far it's worked fine with the LMS's I've used. Though I have been warned that some LMS's don't like sending data out of their system. I have mostly used this to collate survey data from clients. And I've hosted the Storyline survey on my own website & provided the client with a direct link to it - an LMS would just get in the way!

As for pulling the data, it's done using javascript (which I don't understand! 😲) supplied by ClueLabs , which simply sends data to a Google Sheet. 
        It took a bit of fiddling with to get working initially but now it's reasonably easy, seamless & inexpensive to me (I don't have huge numbers of people using it).

Good luck!

• When you create a slider, Storyline automatically creates a number variable to store its value. The value of a variable is available from any slide in the project.

If you want to collect that value and send it to your LMS, you could use JavaScript or another third-party solution.

If you want to stick with just Storyline, you could put the value into a Survey question.

• For example, you could put the slider interaction on a Survey short-answer question.
    • Hide the entry field from the user (e.g., cover it up or move it off the slide).
    • Use a trigger to put the value of the slider variable into that entry field.
    • Then you'll also need to add a Survey Results slide, because that's what tells the program to send the info in the entry field to the LMS.

Or, if that seems too much, I suggest you simply rethink the interaction and use a Survey Likert-scale slide instead. (That will also require a Survey Results slide.)

JustinCollinge
      Community Member

Ah - an interesting approach Judy. Hadn't thought of doing it that way. Nice. 😊

MikeSong
    Community Member

Justin - did a programmer need to create the Javascript? Or does cluelabs create it for us?

• Hi Mike - Cluelabs provides the Javascript to make it work. You start off by linkin ga Google document and then it creates the JS to send to that document. If you use it and get into trouble contact me directly - I found it took me a few goes to get the triggers right.