Forum Discussion

DavidEllenwood
Community Member
3 months ago

Resource for controlling Vimeo videos using Javascript in a Storyline webobject

Fellow Articulate users,

Several years ago, we worked with a technically skilled Storyline expert who helped us develop a web object that used Javascript to control the playback of Vimeo videos in courses developed using Storyline. The web object worked without issue for many years, but it is now starting to fail occasionally. It is time to revise and re-test the web object. Unfortunately, the resource that originally helped us develop the current web object is no longer available. So, we need to find a new partner for this project. I would very much appreciate this community's guidance regarding who might be able to help with this. Of course, please let me know if  YOU have the skills to help. This project is time-sensitive. THANK YOU SO MUCH! -Dave Ellenwood

• Hi Dave,

Perhaps I do not understand the entire project, but would it be possible to just use the Insert Video option in Storyline?

In Storyline, you can use Insert>Video>Video from website, and then paste in the embed code from a Vimeo video. Then after publishing, the user can play the video and use the built-in video controls that Vimeo provides with their player. You can see the attached Storyline project as an example.

• Hi, Kendal.

Thanks for your reply. We need to use Javascript to control the way the video and player behave and to collect information from the video to populate variables. For example, we do not allow the user to fast-forward the video. Does this answer your question? - DE

• Yes. You are not just controlling playback, but also collecting information for variables.