Forum Discussion

NancyMcKernan
Community Member
7 years ago

Source Files

How do you download the source files for a course?  We have a license and are using Rise.  

DarrenColeman
    Community Member

OK. So going off the above comment how can SCORM i.e. the output file be used to create a new course?

Also, can someone with a Rise Articulate account share the source files with someone else that has a Rise Articulate account i.e. pass the content to them?

KarlMuller
      Community Member

The only way to create a new editable Rise course from a SCORM, is to run the course (say in a LMS) and then copy and paste the content from the SCORM into a new Rise course.

Yes, you can send a copy of an editable Rise course to any other Articulate 360 account holder.

DarrenColeman
        Community Member

First point - I see. That’s not exactly ideal.
        Second point - thank you.

CatKorpela
    Community Member

I echo all of the above comments. I love the clean look and ease of use of Articulate products, but I also need to be able to provide source files to my clients. As a freelancer, once I develop a course, I need to be able to hand it over to my client so that they can make changes/edits on their own. Some of my clients also need to be able to host courses on their own servers. If I am reading the above comments correctly, at this point, the only way they'd be able to make changes would be to add them as collaborators. This would require me to maintain my subscription well into the future. Given that the above comments are a couple of years old, have there been any updates on this issue? Has anyone come up with a workable solution?

Tim_
      Community Member

Get the client to buy and maintain an Articulate licence for as long as they want maintain the code. Transfer the course to them using the 'send a copy' feature. Hosting the published course is fine since that's just a bundle of web pages / zip package. Editing requires the hosting platform which is proprietary. I guess it makes more sense for Articulate to just getmore people to buy and hold a licence rather than offering a 'long term archive' or 'downloadable source package'. I can't see this changing.

CatKorpela
        Community Member

Yes, that's the conclusion I came to as a workaround but it's a hefty price
        tag for a client to take on just for the odd small edit or picture change.
        Ideally, I guess, it would be nice if Articulate had a subscription for
        clients that would allow for very limited edits to existing courses that
        clients own.

• Imagine Adobe doing this - it would halt the desktop publishing business in its track.
    So i hope that the years of "tracking" users opinion is enough to implement this as simply a hygienic factor of  being able to comply with customers demands or developers demands that actually originates from their customers. So could be a case of knowing the needs of your customers customer.

We would in our organization use this for compliance purposes.

Rise has a brilliant outlook going forward but when looking in the forums, years  and many years old feature requests which are already available in storyline - one has to wonder whats the strategy, mid long term for Rise360?

Adobe is revamping their captivate offering completely - and very soon. So if it is lack of competition  - that will change.

• Offering a source file export (similar to Storyline) would be a HIGE benefit to me and my organisation too - please do seriously consider offering this!  I actually wasn't aware of this limitation until recently and now may need to rebuild certain courses in Storyline360 in order to have the source content available.

• I'm "seconding" the request to implement a download function - or, based on the volume, "hundreding"? Articulate, please respond to the reality that this is a feature your customers request and need, rather than just brushing it off with "if that changes, we'll let you know" 

hazelB
      Staff

HI Adrienne, yes you can send a copy of a course to another user! Here's how.

DocFox
    Community Member

This is the main reason I advise any serious elearning developer or organization to stay far away from Articulate Rise. With no option to download or import your source/authoring files, your authoring files are essentially held hostage by Articulate, requiring you to have an Articulate 360 subscription in perpetuity if you ever need to go back and edit your courses. And guess what? Most courses need to be revised or edited at some point.

This system is a great way for Articulate to trap its users into a never-ending (overpriced) subscription, but it is a terrible deal for any course developer or organization. If you want to actually have ownership over the course authoring files you spend so much time working on, go with an open-source solution like H5P.