Forum Discussion

DeannaMiles
Community Member
2 months ago

Text-to-speech voices

Hi

Is there a way to change the voice on ALL slides within a project all at once?

I have a lesson in English that uses Joanna's voice but now I have to convert this lesson to French (Canada) and I need to change the voice to Gabrielle for all slides.

Is there a faster way than having to edit text-to-speech on each slide?

Thanks

AndrewHanley
    Community Member

HI Deanna,

Unfortunately not. There is no bulk or automated way to do this. Storyline actually creates this speech directly from the text when you type it in. From that point on, it is just a regular audio file.

So unfortunately that also means that editing it to a different voice requires you to go in to each text and choose that new voice.

Im not sure how many you have to do, but one tip I use is if I have cuepoints or assets on the slide which synchonise to the TTS audio, I make a copy of each of these audio files (you can use the MEDIA LIBRARY within Storyline to make this easier).

From there, I open the audio file up in an audio editor program (I use Adobe Audition).
    This lets me place an actual "marker" at every cue point, so when I create my new audio file - even if I dont speak the language - I can see exactly where each cuepoint and/or onscreen synchonisation needs to occur.

Hope that helps!

DeannaMiles
      Community Member

Thanks for confirming as for the second part I have no clue what you are talking about. Our team does everything in SL. Could you share an example?

Thanks

Deanna

AndrewHanley
    Community Member

Hi again Deanna.

I think you replied by email, because all your contact details are showing in that reply. You might want to click the EDIT button and remove them - otherwise those wonderful spam robots will sniff it out and pester you with "Extended Car Warranties"! ;)

I cant really show all the steps for the audio cuepoint thing. There are quite a few and in different programs! However, do you use alot of synchonisation of on screen elements to your TTS audio?

AndrewHanley
    Community Member

Oh dear. :)

Well, nothing else for it but the manual way. If you speak and read French then it wont be as hard, but if not, consider the easiest way to work out when you need something to happen on screen. This is what I was discussing earlier with the cuepoints and markers in Adobe Audition.

So, I would start by getting the English script, and putting a little indicator character in the script for me. I use a "[M]" When I see this in the script I know that something has to happen on screen to synchonise with this point in the script.

Then when I get my translated audio (either from TTS or from a translation company) I can more easily match up the "[M]" indicators, and then even though I cant understand the language, I know exactly what is supposed to happen and when.

Changing languages is a lot of work for something with audio synchonisation, but if you plan it out well before beginning, it can be a lot more streamlined and easier in the long run.

Good luck!