Forum Discussion

MarcusRhmig
Community Member
6 months ago

Textbox does not handle touch input correctly

Hi,

I am having problems using (simple?) textboxes in storyline. Using a tablet (iPad) and not mouse and keyboard I get unwanted behaviour when interacting with it.

When I tap a textbox in which I have already entered some text, the whole text is selected and I can't u select it to make changes to my input.

On a different tablet (android) I get a different behaviour. There, not even a cursor is showing but I can remove my input character by character, but only starting from the last one.

This issue happens with every textbox for every user. Is there a solution for this?

Thank you in advance.

• Hi Marcus, 

Thanks so much for reaching out! 

I see that you've opened a case and that you are working with my colleague Chester. You're in great hands! 

We'll continue the conversation over in your case. 

Have a wonderful afternoon! 

JettonMeador
    Community Member

I am having the same issues on a Samsung tablet in Chrome browser. I see that people have had cases open going several years back, but never see that anyone gets a solution.  Is there a solution for this?  I have tried "sending my text entry box to the back". 

This is supposed to be a simulation for field staff that work on Samsung tablets in the field. Part of their procedure is to copy/paste text into a field (which we simulate), but then they have to edit that text.  Works fine on a computer with mouse and keyboard, but do not get a cursor in the text entry field on a tablet.

I feel this is an issue that has been around for years (looking at the previous threads).  Is there not a fix, or a JavaScript fix that could work here?  I've seen JavaScript options for websites that should fix the issue, but I don't know enough about JavaScript to know how to translate that to Storyline.

Any help would be appreciated.

https://360.articulate.com/review/content/dff179c5-0e5f-45eb-86e2-d616bc47c82e/review

MarcusRhmig
    Community Member

Thanks for the reply, I thought I was the only one having this problem or just not using it properly. I am experiencing the issues with text fields on any mobile device (iOS, iPadOS, Android) and in every browser tested (Chrome, Firefox, Edge, Safari).

I have looked at the code, but I am not a frontend developer. I have tried to describe my observations in a test project (see below).

I could also think of a workaround (with postMessage()), but I don't view this as a solution. In my opinion, a basic function such as text input from the user simply MUST work. And it doesn't do that reliably.

As our working group provides learning opportunities for children and young people with SL, I also need usability on mobile devices. It simply has to work the way the children are used to. And without cumbersome home-made solutions. Especially since most of the people working on the content don't have in-depth knowledge of HTML and JS and the solution mentioned above is therefore not feasible.

Unfortunately, this really is a deal-breaker for us.

The project: https://test.cosito.net/develop/sl/bug/tb-touch/story.html
    The code of the web object as is: https://test.cosito.net/develop/sl/bug/tb-touch/index.html

• Hello Jetton and Marcus!

I'm so sorry for the trouble this bug is causing. We do have it logged with our team, so I've added your comments to our report so we are aware of the impact. I'll be sure to update this discussion if this is fixed in an upcoming update.