Forum Discussion

DebraMascott-05
Community Member
2 months ago

Using Button Sets - distinguish between correct and incorrect - reset to initial state 2 attempts

Hello All:

Long title. Working on an activity with two attempts. I am using Button Sets. Only one correct answer per row in a table. I would like to distinguish between incorrect and correct answers in the button sets because the prof would like to give the students two attempts. After attempt 1, return to initial state only for Incorrect answers. No need for students to answer the correct ones again. (Bonus, wouldn't it be cool if the correct answers could be a different color)?  Here's a screenshot. Many thanks. Debra

AndrewHanley
    Community Member

Hi Debra,

No problem at all :)

Just edit the buttons STATES for this. You will have a SELECTED state and its this you should change.

I would set up two different types of radio buttons for this - CORRECT and INCORRECT.
    The correct Selected state will be something like green
    The incorrect Selected state will be something like red

And because you have used the inbuilt "Selected" state, Storyline will know what to do and handle most of the changing states for you! Bonus!

The final part you need to do is reset all the button states back to NORMAL if the user hits the retry button. Thats just a lot of triggers saying...
    "Change State of <button name> to NORMAL when the user clicks <retry button>"

Does that help at all?

• Many thanks, Andrew. Before I jump in and test this, how is this handled with Button Sets?  There are eight button sets. Since only one answer is correct per row, is there a way to handle this or do I do this 24 times (8 statements times three choices)? Thanks.

AndrewHanley
    Community Member

So, keep the button sets Debra (they are working well for you and ensuring Storyline knows how you want these buttons to act)

Then yes, you are going to have to edit 24 individual buttons!

But....

Use the little known and often overlooked FORMAT PAINTER option. This will literally mean you only have to set up the SELECTED STATE on 2 buttons - 1 correct, 1 incorrect.

Then by DOUBLE CLICKING Format Painter, you can simply click the other radio buttons you want to be either correct or incorrect, and they will all magically have the same state applied!

I love Format Painter, and its often forgotten about, but for jobs like this its perfect.