download storyline file from Review

Dec 23, 2019

Hello, 

Is there any way to download a file from Review after publishing it to Review?  I ask as I am working on a storyline 360 project, published to review for my team to review, and then my computer crashed.  Our IT was not able to recover any files from my computer.  So the training is in Review, but I don't know if I can get the file from there some how.  Is that possible? 

Thank you

32 Replies
Katie Riggio

Hello there, Erin!

There isn't a way to download a source file from Review 360, but it may help to see if the .story file is in your temp files:

1. Open this folder in Windows Explorer: %appdata%\Articulate\Storyline 
  2. Scan the contents of this folder for a file that starts with the name of the project. If you find one, copy it to your desktop. If you find more than one, copy the latest version to your desktop. 
  3. Change the file extension of the copy on your desktop from *.tmp to *.story. 
  4. Double-click the file to open it in Storyline. 

We're also tracking requests for such a feature, so I'll make sure our report is up to date with your voice. Here's a look at how we prioritize such ideas!

Erin June

Hi Katie,

Thank you for your assistance. Unfortunately, the computer that I was working on completely crashed, and is no longer accessible.  I am now using a whole new computer, and it appears what you suggested is searching within the computer.  Please let me know if this should not be the case as I may be doing something wrong. 

Thank you for your time, I believe this would be a great feature.  We do backup to a cloud, but apparently it isn't instant.

Katie Riggio

Hi, Erin!

Oh no, I'm sorry to hear that the other computer is no longer accessible. If there isn't content created with the new machine yet, the temp file search may be empty since Storyline content is stored locally.

If there's anything else we can do to help, please let us know. We'll also update you if there's any forward movement on such a feature in Review 360!

Lauren Connelly

Hello KayLee!

We don't currently have the option to download a source file from Review 360 on our roadmap. However, you should still be able to open projects in Storyline 360 created in previous versions. If you've turned on the auto-recovery option, you should still find the previous versions of your projects in your Temp folder.

Here's how to check:

1) Open this folder in Windows Explorer: %appdata%\Articulate\Storyline

2) Scan the contents of this folder for a file that starts with the name of your project. If you find one, copy it to your desktop. If you find more than one, copy the latest version to your desktop.

3) Change the file extension of the copy on your desktop from *.tmp to *.story.

4) Double-click the file to open it in Storyline.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions!

Kelly Auner

Hi Adrian,

I'm sorry to hear that you lost your work!

Have you tried the steps Katie and Lauren shared above, in attempt to recover your project? You should still have access to view the course with Review 360, but currently, there is no option to download the the course from Review. 

We have a feature request logged for the ability to download files from Review 360, so I'll add your vote and will be sure to update this discussion if this makes it to our feature roadmap.

Robyn Mendelsohn

This is very disappointing news that I can't download storyline file from 360 review.  I inherited a project from someone who died suddenly, and laptop has already been re-deployed.  We have the links he sent to the subject matter experts last year for review & updates and now more changes are needed.  Reading this string of messages tells me I will need to rebuild these entire courses, which really stinks and will take a lot longer.  :(

Murari Vyas

This should be a feature that can be very easily be made available if the developers are requested for it. Cuz I see it's a pretty common issue faced by many and this needs to be taken up by the articulate team.

Also, I understand that the review link is generated from some SCROM of the storyfile, right? and published onto web. Hence, to display its content and enable expected behaviour for it's contents. The information is already present. Though it cannot exactly re-create the same story file. A working basal version should be extractable. Since, I know the images etc. go through compression henceforth expecting complete storyfile is difficult but an working version should be possible!

Kindly consider it to be made available as a feature in future updates.

Billi Thompson

Due to my own lack of organization, I would like to know if there is a way to see what file the story initiated from in Review 360. Also - I strongly support others requests to having the file available to download from Review. For me, as a way to prevent my work from crashing or ending up with a bug, I tend to make a new copy of larger files every day. Unfortunately, I wasn't keeping up with deleting the old ones. Now I am stuck going through days of files trying to figure out which one I uploaded to Review. I know ultimately this my fault, but... man it would be nice if I could look at Review 360 and be able to tell which file the story originated from. Just my two cents. 

Thanks! 

Murari Vyas

Hi Lauren,

We are happy that you were able to help many.

At the same time, I would request you to have a look at N number of requests you've got for the feature where the provided steps haven't been able to help us out.

Would love to hear some positive response about the request at least being taken up to be implemented down the line.