Accessibility: Adding null tags to images & user option to disconnect CSS?

Sep 21, 2017

Hi, thank you for your efforts toward enhancing accessibility standards, and looking forward to the additions hopefully still on track to be ready next quarter.

Related to the current ability to alt tag images, is it possible to add null tags to images as well?

Also, is there a user option to disconnect the CSS for each page? 

Thank you so much!

10 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Kristie, 

Thanks for bringing up this accessibility element! Null tags are not supported right now, but after chatting with my team we've put it on the list to investigate further. I'll let you know once we have more information on that, and I appreciate you bringing it up!

As for the CSS option to disconnect, could you share more about what this would help you with? That'll help our team look into options that would best fit your needs and the needs of the community! 

Kristie Malterre

Thank you, Ashley! Iʻll look forward to hearing more about null tag updates.

Regarding removing/disconnecting the CSS option, it was more to provide users who require accessibility, such as with keyboard navigation, to be able to effectively navigate the pages in Rise.

Iʻm trying to launch a project with an impending deadline/timeline and have been anxiously awaiting accessibility features (beyond what is already programmed, such as alt tagging, contrast features, etc.), such as keyboard navigation, to become effective with Rise.

I've heard earlier that the keyboard navigation feature is expected (along with VPAT and WCAG 2.0 AA documentation) next quarter sometime (Oct-Dec).  Short of that happening, I wanted to see if users could have the option of disconnecting the CSS in the meantime, instead of me having to re-create all of the content already developed in Rise into an accessible format on our end, should the keyboard navigation feature not be worked out through Rise in time.

Any information, better details, estimated timelines, etc. would be appreciated. Thank you!

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Kristie,

Thanks for that explanation - just the type of info to share with my team! 

I haven't heard of a shift in the release timing for those accessibility features - but our team will always announce once they're live so that you know right away that it's available. 

I can't help with editing the course content outside of Rise, but I wouldn't be shocked if there is a community method to edit the CSS and allow individuals to disable what they need.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.