Alt Text

Oct 17, 2023

Hello!

For decorative imagery I've always added "" to the alt text. I'm sure in the past 'alt' appeared within the image preview in the edit window when doing this. I notice it still appears when typing text, but not when adding "".

I found this useful as I knew I'd done it. I find I'm now having to double check I've added "" as a result. Would I be best just leaving the fields blank in future? Any help or advice would be appreciated, thank you!

Mike. 

2 Replies
Leslie McKerchie

Hey Mike!

You have a very keen eye, and you are correct. Previously, the ALT message appeared on the image preview when anything was entered into the text field, including the double quotes for nulling a decorative image.

We updated this behavior for less confusion. 

Images will be treated as decorative by default when the alt text field is blank. You can also use the double quotes ("") in the alt text field, but no code is needed.

Enhanced: When you leave alt text for an image blank, it's marked as decorative and ignored by screen readers.

Now, you only see the ALT message on the image preview when there is alt text to describe an informative image.