Any "surefire" way to *release* control of a Rise lesson?

Aug 08, 2022

Hi -- I've wondered about this for years, and a colleague just asked me, so (after searching) I decided it was time to post this question, since I imagine others also wonder.

I've always understood the "Do you want to take control ... ?" messages, the reasons why, and how it works. I can find articles or forum posts which explain those things, as with the following :
https://articulate.com/support/article/Rise-Take-Control-of-a-Course-That-s-Being-Edited-in-Another-Browser

What I can't find is an indication of how you can concretely release control of a lesson, so others don't get bogus messages saying you're working on that lesson when you were done hours ago -- something like the check-out/check-back-in functionality some other platforms offer.

My current solution is to send an IM and check with that person, although that doesn't work if they're off for the day, in another time zone and past working hours, presenting in a meeting/training and unable to respond, etc. If Rise says it has been many hours and/or I know one of the above applies, I feel safer "kicking them out." With my colleague just now, it was fairly late his time, but fortunately he did reply.

If no such definitive method for saying "all clear, I'm definitely done" exists in Rise, could you please add this as a feature request? I'm hoping, if others have wished for this, that they'll see this post and add their "+1" to indicate it's a shared desire -- thanks!

3 Replies
Crystal Horn

Hi there, Michael. I'm sorry you're seeing some inconsistency with the lesson lockout feature for collaborators. I've confirmed that it's working correctly on my end with Chrome v104.0.5112.101 on a MacBook OS 12.5.1:

• You'll see someone's avatar next to a lesson as soon as they open the lesson. You shouldn't need to refresh the page.
  • The avatar will indicate the last time a lesson was edited by them. If they just open the lesson and do nothing, it could say edited 2 years ago, e.g.
  • Their avatar will disappear as soon as they exit the lesson.
  • If you decide to take control of the lesson, they'll get a pop up on their screen to prevent them from making any changes that won't be saved.

It's possible that there's something environmental that is interfering with those immediate lesson locks. The best practice would be for folks to exit the lesson and the course when they're done for the day.