Changing the Navigation Progress Text

Jul 31, 2023

Hi there, 

We are creating a few training modules and got out accessibility report. 

Most of the items are things we can address. 

One item we are unable to figure out is how to change the label text for our microlearning's navigation controls. It is currently accounted as announced as x slash y. We'd like to be able to change it to something like step x of y.  See attached image for an example. 

I did find the custom course labels option, but the navigation is not an available field to customize.  In theory, we would like to be able to change it like the lesson or process text. 

I was wondering if we could be pointed in the right direction on how to address this concern. 

3 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hi there, Scott! Thanks so much for your question! 

You're right -- the microlearning step navigation controls are currently announced as x slash y by a screen reader. 

There isn't a way to customize how a screen reader announces that navigation right now, but I can understand why you might want to change it to something like step x of y.

I'll share this feedback with our team who specializes in accessibility, and we'll follow up with you if this changes in the future!

Margaret Reeve

Hello Alyssa,

I was wondering if there was any update on this?

Can you please confirm that currently:

• If I'm creating a microlearning that has stepped navigation and I have 7 steps
  • My user is on step 3
  • The screen reader will announce that the user is currently on 3 - slash - 7

I'm also a bit confused as to when the screen reader would announce the navigation too. So when a user first opens up the course, what would the screen reader announce first?

Any help you can give me to improve the accessibility of our microlearning would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks.