Convert "Microlearning" to a "Course"

Feb 27, 2023

I've developed an entire training piece under a "microlearning" content, however I now want to have the same info included in a "course" format. How can I quickly change the format?

16 Replies
Karl Muller

Hi Nadia,

There isn't a way to "convert" microlearning to a course, but you can copy microlearning blocks into a new Rise course using Block Templates.

With the exception of the microlearning title page, you can save all of the other blocks in your microlearning to a new block template.

Then go to your new Rise course, and insert the microlearning blocks from the Block Template library. It's quick and easy. 

See https://articulate.com/support/article/Rise-Creating-Sharing-and-Reusing-Block-Templates 

Megan O'Connor

Thanks Karl

I'm delighted that Rise has a Microlearning feature! I have a question similar to Nadia's, just in the opposite direction:

1. Is there a way to transfer existing lessons/content into Microlearning format, OR
2. Is there the possibility to connect/link content blocks and apply the microlearning navigation in the original Rise lesson format?

I'm building content for Instructor-led training with Rise and the linked content and microlearning navigation mode features would provide a much cleaner and clearer way for live instructors to move between sections (in place of the continue button which moves around when sections are different sizes).

Karl Muller

Hi Megan,

Q1. 

The Block Templates function can be used for this purpose as well.

Go to your Rise course and the Lesson that has the content you want to move to Microlearning. Save the blocks you want to move as a new Block Template. You can select all the blocks in a Lesson.

Create a new Microlearning and edit it.

Right below the Microlearning title, insert the newly saved Block Template  from the Block Template Library.

Q2.

You cannot apply the Microlearning Stepped navigation to a regular Rise lesson.

Tim Waldron

Hi, I absolutely love the new Microlearning feature. It solves many problems I had with the classic Rise format. The block-linking is absolutely great!

Is there any chance for a hybrid system in future? Meaning either the Microlearning format with chapters or the classic format with linked blocks and Microlearning navigation? That would be amazing. 

Tyler Technologies Education

We would really appreciate the hybrid format, to be honest! One of the problems we have on our team is that we have different versions of our courses. Because of our different audience groups and small variations of our products, we want to build the same courses with different versions. However, because we are a tech company, we update our lessons constantly. With the traditional course format, that would mean that we need to copy and paste the new lessons. I thought that the new microlearning format would solve that problem because I thought that we could link several microlearning courses into one courses. However, realizing that i couldn't do that, that's why I came to this thread. Would really really hope for users to LINK several microlearning pieces into one course. That would solve our problems big time! 

Mahendra Mishra

I am very excited about this feature! I would like to be able to combine multiple microlearning courses into a single course, similar to how a book is divided into chapters. This would allow learners to complete a section or learning program by completing all of the microlearning courses within it.

I believe this would be a valuable feature for several reasons. First, it would make it easier for learners to find and access the information they need. Second, it would allow learners to learn at their own pace and in a way that best suits their learning style. Third, it would help learners to stay motivated and engaged in the learning process.

I would be grateful if you would consider adding this feature to your product. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Tim Waldron

Not only that - there is also the psychological aspect. 

A learner is more likely to willingly participate in a single 20-minute-course, than in 10 two-minute-courses. Especially, if the courses are mandatory. 
Having a seemingly endless list of courses to work on is not ideal for motivation. 

YH HRD

Agree with Mahendra!  I found my learners prefer the navigation in the microlearning courses, compared to same contents in classic Rise layout.   Will be perfect if it is possible to combine several microlearning courses into a single Rise course.  

Please consider this for future roadmap. thanks!