Course Complete - based on % completed, what gets included?

Dec 06, 2020

Hi All,

Can someone please remind me, when we set a course completion to be based on % complete of an Articulate Rise module, what gets included in the %?

I have videos, PDF's and interactions all included within the file. If I set my completion at 80%, does my learner have to interact with 80% of the rise pages i.e. just view the pages, or do they have to interact with 80% of the content/interactions/pages of the file?

FYI, our learners do not need to interact with every single piece of content. For example, we include videos, AND we include a PDF transcript of the video for our learner who prefer to read and/or is unable to access it due to remote locations and wifi issues. 

I've been testing it, and if I increase the % too much our LMS is not marking people as complete; if I decrease it too little and someone leaves a module whilst partially complete some of them are receiving advice that they have completed the module.

Hope this makes sense. Any advice on this would be appreciated :)

Thanks,

Tanya

4 Replies
Tanya V

Hi Alyssa,

That is what I had initially thought based on all of my prior experience with Articulate products; BUT, I can scroll the whole way through every page of every lesson in a course set at 80% completion and still not be recorded as having completed the course in our LMS. I've tried dropping it to 50% and I get a partial success rate i.e. some people will have their completion recorded, others won't! 

Argh, all a little frustrating. I'm wondering if it is more connected with the LMS. I have set up my Rise file based on % complete. I am working with Brightspace LMS, which is new to me. I set the file as a graded attempt (so it records the completion) and I have it set to capture the highest attempt.

Any other suggestions for me?

Thanks so much :)

Tanya

Karl Muller

Hi Tanya,

Just as a comparison, we use 100% course viewing and our learners seldom have problems achieving completion in our LMS.

We have some relatively short courses and some that are extremely long, and always use the same settings and it works consistently for us.

This suggests to me that Rise is correctly determining course completion, and that the problem may be with your LMS.

How do your students exit courses? Do they need to click on the Exit course link? Do you run your courses in a new window over the LMS window?

Tanya V

Hi Karl,

Thanks so much for your response :)

I agree, in the past when I have been setting completion based on % viewed, I would normally set that percentage quite high (90 - 100% based on the content) and I have never had an issue.

The students exit through the 'Exit course link' and it takes them back to the course landing page of the LMS. The course is launching in the same window as the course landing page. When loading to the LMS, I do get the option to launch in the same frame, maybe I will try launching it in a new window and see if that makes any difference.

When testing the other day, with the file set to 50% completion, one of my testers exited the course. The SCORM file returned him to the same place when he re-entered the module, however he then did not get marked as being fully complete when he did get to the end. When he exited, and then re-entered it took him back to the same place as prior. I definitely think it is something to do with the set-up within the LMS and the reading of the SCORM file. I'll need to look deeper into the properties.