Dedicated completion

Nov 25, 2016

Team, in Rise is there a way to build in a dedication completion action for the learner that gives a gentler exit than closing the browser? I am uncomfortable with this in a corporate environment. Thanks!

10 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi David,

If what Jeff suggests is on target for what you're looking to accomplish what about using one of the Block options to provide that completion messaging? You could even use a Button option to have the user link to another webpage such as back to your home page? It won't close the current browser but may be a viable alternative just to let the user know their done and provide them a way out of the course if they just don't want to close the browser window/tab completely.

If you're looking for something different, please feel free to share a bit more detail! 

Hi Julie,

I have only seen one Rise course that incorporated Javascript so far, and it was to use a variable type reference. I personally don't know much about Javascript (as it's not something our team can offer support for) but from what I've seen users do in the forums before it seems to work all wonders of magic. :) 

If you give it a try please keep us posted, as I'm certain it's something others may want to look at utilizing since there isn't an "exit course" functionality in Rise right now. 

David Demyan

My request was about requesting an action from the learner other than closing the browser window/tab. Think of it like a website where you are ordering a $10,000 item and when you get to the end and click Submit, wouldn't you  ask yourself, "Gee, I wonder if that worked and I in fact submitted?" If the user does the Submit action and gets a confirmation that it worked, they feel better about closing the browser.

In fact, some LMSs have a problem registering course completion on window close. I have encountered workarounds for that issue where a check box quiz question is inserted and the learner is prompted "Check here when you have completed the course." It was the only way I could get SuccessFactors to register course completion is certain circumstances.

I have also used it also with a certification statement, asking the learner to take action to verify they have gotten to the end and completed. This is mostly useful for compliance training.

Hi David, 

Thanks for coming back around to share your thoughts on the initial request. I know within Storyline and Studio the completion is passed to the LMS when the user reached the completion/tracking requirement (slides viewed or results slide) and I suspect the same is true of Rise - which I'm confirming with our team shortly. 

Within the set up you mentioned, was the quiz question box tracked by a results slide or just a final slide for the user to view? Would that work the same for you using one of the blocks options - there is a checkbox list which the users can click to check off those items. 

David Demyan

Hey, Ashley! It was actually not tracked at all in Storyline, but is a one question multiple choice checkbox with select and Submit. For a course without another tracked quiz, it "faked" the LMS into believing it was a quizzed passed at 100 percent, with a passing score of 0 percent. And the next question is, in this case, why not just track by the number of slides visited? Didn't work to mark the course complete in the LMS in enough cases that the program manager decided to force it this way.

There seems to be a small benefit for this client to allow their learners to be proactive in marking their own course complete. The response from learners was positive.

Hi, all!

Great news! We pushed out the “Exit” button for Rise courses last night.

You can set buttons in block lessons to leave the course, or add an ever-present link when you export the course that lets learners return to an LMS.

recorded a quick Peek video to show the two options for adding the Exit feature to your Rise course!

Hope that helps and keep us posted! 😁

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.