embedding SCORM packages

Sep 11, 2019

Hello 

I desperately need some help with this. My company has paid for an external company to provide us with a around 100 SCORM packages that we want to embed within Rise courses. The thing is, they will only give us the exported zip package. From doing some research, you can only embed storyline into Rise via a link to review, so: 

a) is there anyway we can upload a zipped scorm package to review? or

b) is there a way to embed a zipped scorm package into rise? or

c)is there a way to embed a zipped scorm package into storyline? or

Does anyone have any other ideas of how I can get around this?

20 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hi there Emily!

It seems like you're stuck between a rock and a hard place here! Happy to try and help you find a solution.

You may be able to host those SCORM output files on a web server, then embed the content into a Rise 360 lesson.

After uploading the output file to the web server, grab the URL to the index.html file.

In Rise, add that URL to a multimedia embed block. In the iFrame code field, use the formula <iframe src="URL"></iframe>. Just replace URL with the link for the content you want to embed.

No guarantees this will work, but it's certainly worth a shot!

Emily Burcham

Hi Alyssa

Thanks for your help! 

I'm trying your solution but we don't have a web server, we have SharePoint but it locked down so only people in the business can access the materials on it. Aslo when i'm looking in the export file i can only see a index_lms.html file which makes me think they've been exported specifically for an LMS not HTML. 

I'm also trying to host them on scormcloud and importing them using this method but, i just get an lms error and a white screen :( 

Emily Burcham

This is where I got to, in principle its great that you can embed scorm files that are hosted on the web. But finding somewhere in this day and age where you can host files without having to sign in is near on impossible. 

I'm currently working to host them on our LMS and linking them through that, as they will have to logged in in order to access the rise, but in all honesty by the time I've done that its easier to just have the file as a separate asset.

Crystal Horn

Hi there, Heather. To embed that kind of content in Rise 360, it'll need to be hosted on the web.

These are some web hosting options for those who are interested:

• Amazon S3 offers free hosting with generous usage limits. If you go over your limit, you'll be charged a small fee. See this video tutorial by Tom Kuhlmann to learn more about Amazon S3.
  • Google Cloud also has a free hosting service. You'll be charged a small fee if you go over the free limit. See this video tutorial by Tom Kuhlmann to learn more about Google Cloud.
Sophie Cazabon

HI: we just started our trial :) Love what we see here! HELP! We have a specific mission to accomplish in a tight timeframe. Our client has MONDAY LMS and have asked us for a sCORM file. Before investing time and $ we need to ensure that if we bring our course content over her that the SCORM export will be compatible with Monday lMS ... could you please advise? 

Crystal Horn

Hi, Sophie! Thanks for checking out Articulate 360. 😄

If Monday LMS accepts SCORM output, your Rise 360 content should play fine. Here is some basic guidance:

I also recommend having the course open in a new browser window (if the LMS offers that launch setting), and using mobile browsers (Safari or Chrome) rather than an LMS mobile app when viewing the content on a mobile device.

Let us know how you make out!

Deb Bridges

Hello!

I'm working toward embedding a SCORM package in Rise. I've arranged to have the SCORM hosted on a server, and I've ready the directions above. Could you give some further direction on how the content should be posted to the server? We currently have the zip file resting there.

Thank you!

Deb

Crystal Horn

Hi Deb! Are you hosting your output in a learning management system, or directly on a web server?

Most LMSs will extract the zipped package and point to the launch file. If your LMS requires you to identify the launch file, point to indexapi.html, which should be in the scorm driver folder.

If you're hosting on a web server, you can export the content for web and unzip the folder. Upload the unzipped folder of content to your server and give learners a link to the index.html file.