Free Text boxes to populate later in course

Jan 28, 2019

Hi,

Is there any way of using a free text box in Rise which will populate a box later on in the course with the text input previously?

This is not a question box as such, more of a"thoughts" input which the learner can look at later on. 

Thanks in advance.

10 Replies
Ned Whiteley

Hi Nathan,

Creating this in Storyline 360 is something you can definitely do.

I originally looked at your query yesterday and tried to use a Storyline block in Rise to achieve the result you were after. However, when you leave the lesson that contains the block and subsequently return to it, your text variable has been reset and so you lose your original text.

If, on the other hand, your entire course is in Storyline, you can enter text into a text-entry box, that then populates a variable that you can call up at any stage in the rest of your course.

I have attached a simple example below that consists of four slides in two separate scenes. The first slide gives you the option to either enter text or review text within the same scene or to review it in Scene 2. The idea of this is simply to illustrate to you that you can enter text in one scene and then access it in another one later on. At any stage, the text can be amended and the new version will then become available on the review slides.

If you wanted to always keep the first text entry, but still have the ability to view a revised version later as well, you could achieve that by copying it to a new variable when first entered, that then couldn't be changed whatever you did to the original text later on.

Ned Whiteley

Hi Nathan,

I'm not sure I fully understand what you are asking here, but I think you are suggesting that you would use a Storyline block within Rise.

If this is the case, then the basic rule is that as long as you remain within the lesson that contains your Storyline block, anything that you have entered into your text-entry box will be retained in the variable and can be used anywhere else within the Storyline block. You could view another fifty blocks within the same lesson and then return to your Storyline block and you would still see your text in both the text-entry box and anywhere else that you have called up the variable.

However, the second you leave that lesson and then subsequently return to it, you will find that your text-entry box is empty and there will be a blank anywhere that you have called up the variable as the variable will have been reset. As a result, if you created a Rise course that only consisted of one lesson, irrespective of how many blocks that lesson contained, the text you enter in your Storyline block will always be available. However, you will only be able to access and edit it from within the Storyline block. The same principles apply to any other variable that you copy the original text into.

I hope that answers your query, but if you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to get back to me.

Nathan South

Hi Ned,

Apologies for the lack of clarity there! Exactly, yes. Having a storyline block within rise. your first paragraph there is exactly the answer i'm looking for. Now I've just got to figure this out, I'm pretty new to this software so i'm sure it will take some time. I'll use what you have kindly built as a guide though. 

Thank you! 

Nathan

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.