Issues with buttons in Rise

Jan 25, 2023

I have a couple of issues with buttons in Rise and I’m not sure if they’re two different problems so should put them in different discussions or just to include them both here.

Issue 1

We have multiple buttons in a resource section that allows learners to click on the buttons and download documents they may need throughout a course. These documents are held on a server because we use them throughout all of our courses and if we need to make changes to them we can just change the document rather than having to amend each course and republish. The buttons point to a url which then opens the document. This works fine for pdf documents, however for the Word version of the document in Microsoft Edge it will open two tabs; one is a blank untitled webpage, and the other is the Word document. Why is it doing this and how can we stop it? Please see attached image word_version_edge for a screenshot. This does not seem to happen in Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari (but only on a Mac, there are issues with iPhone and iPad, please see below.)

It’s also causing issues on an iPhone and iPad because if you click View it will open the document in a new tab, which is fine but if you click Download it will download the document and open the course in a new tab taking the user back to the overview screen of the course and resets their progress. The original tab is still open and is in the same place as you were when you clicked the button but users may not realise this and may think they have to start again. Why is this happening and how can we stop it?

Issue 2

This leads on to my second issue with buttons however this is affecting all of them when using an iPhone. If I click on a button that takes me to another webpage, so opens another tab on the phone, when I return to the course by closing the tab or moving back to it in any way, the button that I have just clicked disappears, leaving just the text. We have white text on the buttons and so the white text on the grey background makes it look like the button disappears completely. The button returns when I start to scroll through the course but this shouldn’t be happening. Again, does anyone know why this is happening and how to fix it? See attached image disappearing_buttons_iphone13.

Thank you.

1 Reply
Kelly Auner

Hi Tora,

Thanks for reaching out!

To address the first issue, I wanted to share this article on Rise 360 browser support that you may find helpful. While using a Mac, we support the latest versions of Chrome, Safari, and Firefox.

I understand you're also experiencing issues with buttons disappearing while viewing the course on an iPhone and iPad. To help troubleshoot further, I've opened a support case on your behalf. You'll be hearing from one of our Support Engineers soon via email!