LMS not registering "Complete" on some attempts in Rise Course/Quiz

Aug 10, 2020

I've never encountered this type of issue before. I'm using Oracle Taleo as my LMS, and I've published a series of Rise courses as SCORM 2004 so I can track the individual question responses. The courses are tracking using the quiz result, passing score at 100%, require passing score to continue turned ON, and quiz attempts at UNLIMITED. The quiz is the last lesson/section of the course.

Most users who have taken the courses have no issues - the courses track perfectly, grant their completion credits upon quiz pass, and the LMS tracking shows their individual question responses. However several users are reporting that some courses are not registering a completion - and when I check the LMS tracking, it shows no activity in terms of question responses/attempts. They have even sent me their screenshots showing the quizzes at 100%, but still their profiles only show an incomplete attempt with nothing in LMS tracking aside from a course launch.

Another LMS admin and I cannot seem to replicate the issue. Is there something in my course or quiz settings that could be causing this issue?

6 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hi Grant!

Are you noticing this problem is happening in Chrome and Edge?

If so, we've also seen that courses exited by closing the browser window are not showing as complete or resuming as expected. Courses exited by the Exit Course button work correctly. 

Here are some details on the Chrome 83/Edge behavior:
Chrome has deprecated a technology that was used by many LMSs to allow a course to communicate back to the LMS when the course window is closed (as opposed to using the Exit Course button).

If your LMS hasn't upgraded their system, or if you're using an older version of your LMS that doesn't include an update to address this change, the course cannot communicate progress or completion properly. This causes learners to start over from the beginning instead of resuming a course or recording completion after they close the browser window.

Please reach out to your LMS and find out if they have released an update to address the Chrome changes.

Rebekah Massmann

We have been experiencing similar inconsistencies. We were able to solve (we think) the completion recording issue by ensuring the Exit Course button is there and that the learner clicks next in Taleo Learn, after the course is complete.  However, we are also experiencing an issue with embedded videos where you can't scrub through them (even though they are set to allow this) -- in fact, if you click on the video at all, it resets to the beginning! This behavior does NOT happen in Firefox or IE. Any ideas on what could be going on?

Crystal Horn

Hi there, Rebekah. I'd like to get a little information about your video problem so I can help!

• Are you adding a video file, or are you embedding a web video with a URL?
  • Can you share your video file or the URL/embed code you're using? If you'd prefer to keep those private, you can send it to us by clicking here. We delete everything when we're done troubleshooting!
  • Can you use this link to share your browser details with me? A screenshot of that page would be great!
Martin Fredriksson
Grant Tucker

I've never encountered this type of issue before. I'm using Oracle Taleo as my LMS, and I've published a series of Rise courses as SCORM 2004 so I can track the individual question responses. The courses are tracking using the quiz result, passing score at 100%, require passing score to continue turned ON, and quiz attempts at UNLIMITED. The quiz is the last lesson/section of the course.

Most users who have taken the courses have no issues - the courses track perfectly, grant their completion credits upon quiz pass, and the LMS tracking shows their individual question responses. However several users are reporting that some courses are not registering a completion - and when I check the LMS tracking, it shows no activity in terms of question responses/attempts. They have even sent me their screenshots showing the quizzes at 100%, but still their profiles only show an incomplete attempt with nothing in LMS tracking aside from a course launch.

Another LMS admin and I cannot seem to replicate the issue. Is there something in my course or quiz settings that could be causing this issue?

I've had the same issues as you describe with some students not being registered as completed even thought we receive screenshots from students showing us they have completed the courses.

We believe the issue here is with the students internet connection. I tried myself by opening a rise 360 course and by the end of the course I put my phone in airplane mode. As expected, I was able to finish the course and get the message saying "Congratulations, you've passed" although tracking didn't work and my course isn't 'completed'.

I've submitted a 'feature request' about getting some kind of handshake feature where the rise course can communicate back with the LMS and if that handshake breaks for some reason, the course should lock up and not be able to progress until the connection is restored. I urge more of you to submit this feature request, as I've seen a number of people having this kind of issues where reporting doesn't work.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.