Make knowledge check mandatory

Dec 15, 2022

I'm trying to make users complete certain knowledge checks before moving on (not the final quiz). Right now they can scroll right past them and click the continue button to go to the next section. I have restricted navigation on. I don't see another setting. Thoughts?

3 Replies
Wendy Farmer

Hi Jeffrey

A knowledge check is a block within a lesson that has additional content. When we say knowledge check, we're referring to that block as a part of the learning portion of the course. The continue block that follows a knowledge check is looking for interaction with the knowledge check, but it isn't evaluating correctness.

Have you considered creating the knowledge check question in Storyline 360, then embedding it in Rise 360 using a Storyline block? You can customize the question any way you like, and you can prevent the learner from moving forward until they choose the correct answer. 

Jeffrey Smith

Is the restrict navigation option only an all-or-nothing setting? I have some knowledge check blocks I'd like to act as navigation gates/locks, but I'd like for other interactive elements on the same page to not be mandatory. right now users have to click every element on the page, and all I want to force them to do is answer the question. It's causing issues, but there are regulatory requirements that mean I can't just have open navigation.

Hazel Bartolome

Hi Jeffrey!

Yes, the Restrict Navigation option is an all-or-nothing setting. Since you mentioned that you only need them to answer the question in your Knowledge Check block, how about setting it to Open Navigation, but adding Continue blocks in your course that require a completion type for the areas that are mandatory? Here's an example below:

Add a Continue block after every mandatory Knowledge Check. Then set that block to Complete Block Directly Above.

c