PDF filename changes when downloading from Rise

Aug 17, 2017

Hi there,

We have noticed that when downloading a pdf document (from the pdf multimedia block) the filename of the downloaded document is different than the filename of the document when it is in Rise.  See attachment for screenshots.  Is this supposed to happen?  If so, what is the rationale in changing the filename?  We would really appreciate it, if someone can shed some light on this for us.  Thank in advance and have a wonderful day!

Pinned Reply
104 Replies
Zero Suicide

We are also having this issue. We have files uploaded on Rise to share with trainers. They need to save them with the correct names because we reference the file names in their training manual. We're instructing them to change the names manually but would love to see this problem resolved. Following so I can receive updates.

Crystal Horn

Hi there, Tracey. You shouldn't have to do anything extra. In the block, and when you download the attachment, you should still see the original file name. In the output files for web or LMS, you may see extra characters, but they are removed for your learner.

Let me know where you're seeing the extra characters, and I'll see how we can help!

EFIPSA Formación y Consultoría, S.L.

Thank you very much Crystal, we will now send the files and screenshots to the Support Team. Anyway, I attached in this post two screenshots: the first is from the file downloaded from Rise 360, the second is from the same file downloaded from Moodle 3.7.

Alyssa Gomez

Thanks, Heather! 

I tested a sample course in Chrome on SCORM Cloud, an LMS testing tool, and the PDF file name did not have any extra characters added when I downloaded the PDF.

Would you mind if we had a closer look at your LMS output file? You can send that file to our team by clicking here. We'll test it and let you know what we find!

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Daniel! Sorry to hear you're still running into this. Can you help me with a few more details about your course?

• How long ago did you publish this Rise 360 course?
  • Is the course hosted on a web server or a learning management system?
  • Can you share a screenshot comparing the file name in the course to the file name after downloading it?
Andrea Windolph

We are having exactly the same problem of a lot of random gibberish characters being added to the download filenames. Happens both with Chrome and Safari but it does not happen to all our courses. It seems to strike randomly.

The problem starts already when downloading from the rise 360 preview and persists in any export (Scorm, web, ...).

We need to publish our courses (actually 25 courses with many download files ) this week and this WILL cause a major problem with customers. So is there a quick fix?

Crystal Horn

Hi there, Andrea! Exported Rise 360 courses are showing the right attachment file names when I try to download from my sample course. We are seeing extra characters when using the Share link or the course preview, however.

If you're still seeing extra characters in your web our LMS output, could you privately share the most recently exported package with us here? We'll delete everything when we're done troubleshooting. Thanks!

Andrea Windolph

Hi,

sorry for the delay but I had some discussions with the client.

We do not know yet if the problem occurs also after upload into their LMS.

I explained the potential problem to the client now and we agreed that I will deliver the packages and then we will see if the problem persists on their LMS.

I suggest that we wait until they are ready and I will keep you informed!

Andrea