Remove start button from Rise course

May 22, 2024

Hi. I have an image for my cover page in Rise (Apex theme/left overlay). I put our logo and the course title within the image in order to have that the way I want it (I don't want the logo below the image and I don't want the title in black and wrapping on it's own.) The problem is that if someone changes the size of their browser, the start button moves on top of the image. Can I remove the start button or move it's location and lock it in place? I've seen posts where you can just change the label of the start button to be blank, but then you are left with just a black button. I don't want to publish without the home page. Anyone have any tricks they've used to avoid the button moving or removing the button?

8 Replies
John Pinkster

Your options are to either add custom CSS to your exported course everytime you export or use the Mighty Chrome Extension which allows you to move the Begin button to different parts of your cover page. 

Let me know if you want that code to manually move it everytime. The Mighty solution is a no-code and persists with your course

John Pinkster

Ahh dang. No worries. If you are able to add Javascript and CSS to your courses after the fact then I could send you the code that will move them, but otherwise, there is no native solution.

I have seen some examples where people turn off the Cover Page and then design the first "lesson" as your cover page .. maybe that is a good alternative 

Kimberly Fletcher

Hello, I am adding to this conversation after searching other threads as I feel this is most recent/relevant.

I understand you can go into the Rise settings > LABELS tab and delete the START COURSE text to remove the start button from appearing at the top of the course, but whenever I try to do it, it just resets itself and puts the START COURSE text back in once I back out and try to preview it.

PLEASE HELP! P.S. I have tried the "Create New" option and that did not help.

Phil Foss

I believe the Start button is always meant to show, it changes to a Resume button if the learner has completed part of the course, this is core functionality of Rise. If you really need to hide it, I will recommend using a theme component (CSS) that will hide it. It won't actually delete it, but it will be visually hidden. Beware if you're being asked to pay for an extra addon to achieve this.

Frazer Gregory

Hey Kimberly
Just for info. I had set all my courses/modules to have the Start Course button removed by following the exact method you describe above and just today I notice it's back on every one.
We removed it because we have a disclaimer before the menu that we want our people to read and so that option was perfect for our needs. Gutted :(