Rise 360 Youtube embed "This video is restricted from being viewed on this domain"

Jul 11, 2022

Hello

We are having a problem when we embed a youtube video in Rise 360 and play it from an LMS from chrome as it plays correctly in Firefox. The Rise course is hosted on a different domain than the LMS and is loaded via an iframe. When the course loads and we try to play the YouTube video, it gives us the error "Video unavailable. This video is restricted from being viewed on this domain". We have made a test of embedding the same video in an html and we have uploaded it in the same way to the LMS and in this way the video is played correctly with which the problem comes when we join rise, chrome and that the course is hosted in a domain other than the LMS.

Does anyone know where the problem could come from? Any restrictions that Rise has when you embed a youtube video or something.

Regards, and thank you very much

14 Replies
Alex del Solar

Hi Karl

Because we use a scorm connector system and the scorm course is on another server, we cannot upload the course directly to the LMS. We've found that the issue stems from Rise's way of embedding videos using "embed.ly". We have done a test of embedding a youtube video in a normal html and we have passed it through the connector system and it works correctly:

<iframe id="player" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="1" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" title="xxx" width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xxx"></iframe>

but at the moment we put like Rise does:

<iframe class="embed__media" src="//cdn.embedly.com/widgets/media.html?src=xxx;display_name=YouTube&amp;url=xxx;image=xxx&amp;key=xxx;type=text%2Fhtml&amp; schema=youtube" alt="xxx" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" allowfullscreen="" title="xxx">

<iframe id="player" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="1" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" title="xxx" width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xxx"></iframe>

</iframe>

It already gives us the error "Video unavailable. This video is restricted from being viewed on this domain". We have looked through the Rise code and we do not see anywhere where that iframe is built to try to eliminate it in the courses where we embed youtube videos.

Greetings and thank you

Rise 0

I dont know, but the conditions in this type of problem can vary so much on this topic that i dont think there is one fix that works everywhere. Many things to try.
But in the interest of saving trial and error time, i would contact the support with the specifics of the case. A bit more precise process in the troubleshooting i would hope.

Alex del Solar

Hi Phil

The problem is that the videos that we link are not ours, they are videos uploaded to youtube and are public, so we cannot change anything in their configuration.

But as I mentioned before, if we embed them without going through Rise, they work and fail when we use Rise.

Greetings and thank you

Phil Mayor

I think the issue is that the iframe is coming from embedly as you can see the URL. Looks like these may be blocked by the account holder. Unless Articulate drop embedly or offer another way to embed the only way to get them working is to get the URL in the allow list.

It would work if you embed in storyline but not perfect.

This is a confidential email. Tesco may monitor and record all emails. The views expressed in this email are those of the sender and not Tesco. Tesco Stores Limited Company Number: 519500 Registered in England Registered Office: Tesco House, Shire Park, Kestrel Way, Welwyn Garden City, AL7 1GA VAT Registration Number: GB 220 4302 31

Zachary Lawhorn

I am having the same issue currently with one of our courses (I'm hoping it's just one). 

We have an eLearning on Microsoft Teams (made with Articulate Rise 360) and were plugging the videos Microsoft has on Youtube into the lessons. The videos were added to the lessons via. URL and not iframe. 

The videos work fine on Articulate's website.

We loaded the actual course onto our LMS; in the storage part of the LMS, the videos work as they should in the file. However, in the actual course on the LMS - we get the "restricted from being viewed on this domain" message. 

This wasn't an issue up until the beginning of this year.