Rise: Flip Card accessibility with resizing text

Jun 19, 2021

Hello,

I'm wondering about accessibility for flipcards / flashcards in Rise: If the text resizes automatically and gets quite small on mobile, is that an issue for accessibility compliance?

And if so, what's the best way to handle that? I'd really like to keep the resizing text, but there's no way to define a minimum font size so people with low vision may have trouble if they're using smartphones, especially with a smaller screen. What still counts as accessible here?

For reference: My phone offers me the accessibility option "triple tap to zoom" but in portrait mode it cuts off the sides of the cards and I can only scroll up/down, not left/right to see the rest of the text. So learners would have to first go into landscape mode, then triple tap to zoom.

3 Replies
Lea Spille

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I realize now that my question "What's the best way to handle that" was poorly worded. I know I can set a fixed font size but I was wondering if the only way to deal with it is to make the design less responsive or not use flipcards at all.

I was also hoping for an accessibility perspective on flipcard text size in general: With text on a card that's limited to a square the width of your screen, you can enlarge any text only so much before it no longer fits. As a hypothetical example, if someone tried to complete a course through a smart watch or old school cell phone I wouldn't expect anyone to try and make font sizes on those devices work well for vision impaired people. That's of course an absurd example to illustrate the point. But the question behind it is what are best practices and what is reasonable to expect in terms of accessibility?

Renz Sevilla

Hi Lea! Thanks for reaching out! In regards to accessibility and mobile devices, Rise 360 courses are inherently responsive, so the content will scale and reflow as needed when learners interact with their browser zoom features.

Moreover, most of the text content in Rise 360 will respond to learners' custom styling, including font size and line spacing. There are still improvements to be made regarding this, and you can read more about it here!