Rise in the Classroom

Oct 02, 2022

I'm a middle school teacher using Rise 360 in the classroom. It is a bit of a "paradigm" shift to take the ID tool from corporate training to a classroom setting. 

Using Rise allows me to post materials for the students beyond the classroom doors. I have been finding ways to use Rise as an interactive book. 

I am not a great graphic design guy (and I think that failing shows). And, I am newer at developing my ID skills in the course structure. 

What do you think? Improvements? Criticisms? 

https://rise.articulate.com/share/FvxROsoI4_JO_1t34KEKygz-vD-oKLX1

https://rise.articulate.com/share/eca-jDowqJehXuUS5uSoLEAI73rarg4y

3 Replies
Phil Mayor

I went through one and they look good, if I was being picky this is what I think it needs:

1. Take the zoom off all of the images unless it is needed
  2. There are places where you have text in images and some even look like hyperlinks, take these out
  3. Some of the images look poor quality
  4. In some sections it looks like you are missing, what I mean is that the bit you would talk too the content is not there
  5. The places where we do have text some of the instructional or contextual info appears to not be there
  6. Finally, you have a lot of coloured blocks that don't add anything to it, the worst place is the questions with the white dividers in-between, if you want colour go with a light grey

But just me being picky this looks good.

Mark Herrell

Kelley - Thanks for the encouragement. 

It is interesting to compare the style to the "corporate" training; Is this software really middle school appropriate? My students have given a 75/25 like/dislike (maybe 80/20). Some say, "too fancy," while others enjoy the easy access audio narration & quick knowledge checks along the way. Some enjoy the image w hotspots for added info & hyperlinks to additional info. I question whether it becomes cognitively cluttered. 

It is interesting to see how this age group responds to this tech. For the most part, they are savvy tech users & figure it out quickly. There is some UX confusion - for which I blame the developer (me) as well as the facilitator (me) for not explaining the process well enough. But, I figure that this is my beta group!

And, this is being created in a rapid development process. I like to think of it as a SAMs model: Each improvement is a successive approximation model towards refinement. I am knocking these out in quick succession to meet the timeline demands of the next units (rapid development). 

Phil - Thank you for the notes. I appreciate them as I do not have a “team” to provide input/improvements. And, as I said, I am not a great design guy.

1. Funny that you mention the zoom. I initially wanted the zoom so the students could look at images (maps) on a larger screen (they work off of these crumby Chromebooks). But the images are not zooming larger. Hmmm… I will take it off.
  2. I have “labeled graphic images” (images w hotspots). I did this to help the students find answers to the “Check Your Knowledge” assignment (a bit of a cheater system). I questioned whether to have these and/or whether they make it too cluttered. I went to add them because I can add interactivity & supplemental info. Distracting to some, but a deeper dive for the three students who are actually interested(?) Ha!
  3. The images are of poor quality. Those are probably the best of the bad from avail images. The downfall of this assignment is cutting & pasting available images from the internet. When will Articulate expand into Ed Photos & diagrams(?).
  4. I was missing audio narrations. That is what happens as I rapid develop these. Thanks for the heads up (if this is what you were referring to).
  5. Yeah… there are a bit of holes in the info isn’t there. As I go thru another round of SAM, maybe I can fill in the blanks per se.
  6. Colored blocks, Ha! Man, that is something that I have worked on. I have swung too far into the realm of more is just more. And, my color schemes blend too closely together. 

I am going to go back to reduce, & begin to establish a color plan. But grey? Isn’t that too much like the cold grey skies of rainy London? Ha!

Thanks so much for the time you took to take a look. I really appreciate the feedback… and if you (anyone) have harsher, or development/design issues, please, I present this to learn & develop my trade.