Rise Quizzes

May 12, 2020

Hi- I am looking for quiz options in Rise 360 and wonder if there is a detailed tutorial that explains various options.  

If you choose Quiz when you add content, then there is only one quiz format.  But if you choose lesson, that are various interactions that are quiz-like, including the four 'Knowledge checks". I have seen in other threads that you can import custom quizzes from from storyline, but I don't see any feature for importing or embedding external content.   All that said, I am hoping to find something that explains how to add any/all types of quizzes and which quizzes can be tracked in an LMS (i.e. can quizzes be tracked, but not Knowledge checks?). 

19 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hi Stephen! I'd be happy to shed some light on this!

• Quiz lesson: This is the standalone quiz in Rise 360. It has multiple choice, multiple response, fill-in-the-blank, and matching questions. There are several settings you can adjust to customize the quiz to fit your needs. All quiz data will be sent to your learning management system (LMS), including the overall score and individual answers. 
  • Knowledge check/Interactive blocks: These blocks can be added to your blocks lessons, but they are not trackable. Use these blocks when you want to add interactivity to your courses and to create informal, lean-forward learning moments. 
  • Storyline blocks: You can build a quiz in Storyline 360, then add it to Rise using a Storyline block. You can track the quiz score by choosing the quiz tracking option when you publish from Storyline to Review 360, and then choosing to track the Rise course by the Storyline blockIn that scenario, the quiz score will be sent to the LMS, but question-level details aren't sent to the LMS for Storyline blocks.

Let me know if that answers your questions!

Stephen Beck

Thanks! That helps.  It seems the bottom line is that with Rise, you need to choose which quiz to track.  So if I needed something more like a college midterm (e.g. 50 questions), then it makes more sense to make that a standalone course, perhaps created in storyline so I can track a wider variety and number of questions via the results page.  Storyline makes sense for a test that needs a lot of questions (e.g. 50). I guess Rise could do it, but they'd all sort of be stacked on each other in a single rise quiz block.  

That's good know (assuming my thinking is sound).    I like that Rise keeps the student engaged and moving, and don't want it to be bogged down with tests.  But other times, there is a need for a comprehensive test.  

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Stephen!

While you can create a 50-question quiz in both Rise 360 and Storyline 360, Storyline 360 does offer more customization options.

Also, I would suggest creating a sample Rise 360 quiz lesson, just so you can see how it works. Each quiz question displays one at a time, so you won't have questions stacked on top of each other. 

Joanne Pinna

Thank you but I am trying to use Blank lesson and build a quiz on the first pae and cannot seem to be able to do that.

We are working remotely to comply with UMB campus guidelines regarding the COVID-19 pandemic. While we will do our best to continue normal operations and work schedules, please understand that due to the nature of the situation, responses and actions may be delayed. We appreciate your patience during this unprecedented time.

Thanks,

Joanne Pinna

Images tell the story

Senior Instructional Technologist

University of Maryland School of Nursing

655 West Lombard Street, Suite 203

Baltimore, MD 21201

410-706-8849 (Office)

pinna@umaryland.edu

Joanne Pinna

Maybe I should be using something else for stand alone quizzes?

We are working remotely to comply with UMB campus guidelines regarding the COVID-19 pandemic. While we will do our best to continue normal operations and work schedules, please understand that due to the nature of the situation, responses and actions may be delayed. We appreciate your patience during this unprecedented time.

Thanks,

Joanne Pinna

Images tell the story

Baltimore, MD 21201

410-706-8849 (Office)

pinna@umaryland.edu

Joanne Pinna

Is there somewhere else in Articulate that I can create single interactives/quizzes without a lesson?

Thanks,

Joanne Pinna

Images tell the story

Baltimore, MD 21201

410-706-8849 (Office)

pinna@umaryland.edu

Joanne Pinna

Hello! It will depend on how the instructors will be using it. We can add to our LMS and or we can house it on our web space for non-graded quizzes.

So I have a MAC, can I use Storyline 360 or do I need a PC?

Thanks,

Joanne Pinna

Images tell the story

Baltimore, MD 21201

410-706-8849 (Office)

pinna@umaryland.edu

Joanne Pinna

Thank you for all your help. Will give it a try.

Thanks,

Joanne Pinna

Images tell the story

Baltimore, MD 21201

410-706-8849 (Office)

pinna@umaryland.edu

Amy Leong

Hi, I would like to create a single Quiz question in a Lesson, and the condition of the quiz is that the learner must obtain correct answers before s/he can continue with the Lesson.  I tried using Knowledge Check, Multi-Responses but I can't set the condition.  Is there a better way to do this in RISE? ... Thank you.

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Amy! Learners can move forward after a knowledge check question, even if they answer the question incorrectly. 

Could you instead create this question as a Storyline Block? Here's how:

1. Create the quiz question in Storyline 360.
  2. On the Correct layer, add this trigger: Complete course when the timeline starts on this layer.
  3.  When you publish your Storyline course to Review 360, choose Track using complete course trigger.

4. Add the Storyline block to your Rise 360 lesson.
  5. Add a continue block after the Storyline block. Be sure to set the Completion Type to require learners to Complete the block(s) above the continue block.

Let me know if that works for you!

Cyd Walker

Alyssa, I'm creating an Onboarding module with Rise and want to track users completion of tasks within each section.

I need a checkbox with the name of the task (See attached - this I used the fill in blank in knowledge check) but want it trackable which the knowledge check does not do.

I'm considering re-enacting this as a Section checklist using a Quiz block but do not see fill in the blank as an option. I only see Multiple Choice and Multiple Response. (I found it, I needed to add a new question to get the options to show).

Would love to see the team create a trackable check box version, by modifying a multiple choice question to accept having only one response option versus the default of two.

The SL block doesn't seem feasible as I'd have to modify each block to have the task to complete.

Open to your ideas! I also opened a discussion, but found your related thread here.

Options to consider which may be simple in the short run:

Make Knowledge checks trackable so they can be dispersed throughout the module (rather than a standalone quiz) which makes Rise more flexible than just for courses.

Consider having the multiple choice question (quiz or knowledge check) have one response option versus default it must have two responses. This way it could be used for another purpose.

Joanne Pinna

Hello! Cindy's suggestion is great! i too am interested in a checklist form of task completion! Great idea!!

Thanks,

Joanne Pinna

Images tell the story

Baltimore, MD 21201

410-706-8849 (Office)

pinna@umaryland.edu