Rise Video Player Controls - Auto hide when paused

Oct 30, 2023

Hi Articulate,

I've not seen this happening on any video content I view in Rise360 and wondered if this could be done (or added as a feature request if not).

When pausing a video, it would be nice if the player controls would vanish after a time (e.g. 1 second) if no mouse movement on the video is detected.

This would be really useful for tutorial videos that make use of captions so they weren't hidden under the video controls when paused, thus making them near impossible to read. Would also improve clarity of the paused video so the learner could better see the frame without the video controls being in the way to better grasp the context.

Many thanks,

Sam

11 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hi there, Sam! While the player controls stay visible on the video when paused, I can see how making them disappear would be helpful. As you said, that would allow learners to view the full video frame and captions without the player in the way.

For now, the best way to view the video without player controls is to video the video with the picture-in-picture feature. Here's a short video of that feature in action

You could even add a caption below the video that says something like, "Play the video picture-in-picture to view it without player controls." 

Sam Barnard

Hi Alyssa,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I'll pitch this to my team and see if it's something worth pointing out to our learners.

On the face of it this feels a little clumsy and less professional, especially considering that the video player controls auto-hide during playback anyway - again, why not extend this feature for when the video is paused, controls becoming visible when mouse movement over the video is detected as in playback.

Kind regards,

Sam

Sam Barnard

Hi Phil,

Thank you for the response. I've had a go and managed to get it to work.

I did try editing the index file without extracting the SCORM package, but that seemed to crash Windows Explorer. So I went down the route of extract the SCORM, replace the index file, and zip it back up. This got the script you wrote working as intended, and assuming this zipped folder will still function as a SCORM then brilliant!

Just a shame this only works as a SCORM, but again this is really cool. Many thanks for taking your time to put this together.

Sam

Sam Barnard

Just adding this here if someone stumbles upon this thread:

For whatever reason, my Rise stopped exporting an index.html file in the SCORM with a <style> tag in it. For that reason I'm doing this:

1. Open the index file as normal in an editor like DreamWeaver.
  2. On the line above </body> add <style>, paste in the code mentioned in earlier posts, then add </style> to the line after it. You should now have:

<style>

{copied code}

</style>

</body>

•