Setting up eLearning to work with screen reader

Jul 08, 2022

Hi! I'm hoping someone can help me. Sorry for the long post...I've created eLearning course using Rise 360. The course is complete and I was ready to post to our LMS; however, I just found out that a few of the learners are visually impaired so it needs to be 508 compliant and needs to work smoothly with an NVDA screen reader. 

I've updated the Alt text for all of the graphics. We tested it with the screen reader and found that it does not continuously read through the lessons and requires the learner to use their mouse to scroll through the pages. I was told that it has to do with settings in the Tab controls, but I'm not finding any information on how to change Tab controls in Rise 360.

Does anyone have any tips or guidance on how to start creating an eLearning (in Rise) that will work smoothly with an NVDA screen reader? Or, something like Step 1...Step 2...Step 3...  I've been told that I will need to re-create the eLearning again and change the settings...I don't want to re-create future courses.

Thanks! 

1 Reply
Elizabeth Kuhlmann

Hey Anne! 

Using the Tab key is for interactive components, like the accordion interaction. To have a screen reader keep reading text, users will use the arrow keys as opposed to the Tab key. When you open your course and have a screen reader turned on, you'll click the down arrow. Screen readers will not just read the entire lesson (assuming it was all text), to make the text more digestible. If the screen reader pauses, just hit the down arrow again and it'll keep going. I hope that helps!