Translate Your Course

Apr 19, 2022

We are newer to the community and are looking for recommendations on translation services or software you are using to translate your courses into any number of languages for your learners.  Any advice is appreciated!!  

1 Reply
Toby Lockyer

I have recently been using HeroTranslate. https://apps.microsoft.com/store/detail/herotranslate/9NJGFWGHWVKB?hl=en-gb&gl=GB

It requires an AWS account to be added, but otherwise it is the quickest option I have found for translation. AWS are currently doing 2 million characters a month free for the first year and the normal cost are pretty competitive anyway. So a little bit of pain with getting Amazon set up is worth it.

Using the tool is a painless process. Export the XLIFF, Import it into Herotranslate, select the language, it will generate the translated XLIFF, reimport the XLIFF and done.

I would say that AWS is roughly 70% accurate, so I have used the export to excel feature to get my native speaker SMEs to correct. The excel format makes it much easier for the SMEs but also makes my life easier as I can use it to create a new absolutely correct XLIFF. Without exaggeration this product has saved hours of my life, in terms of translation time and chasing edits.

More importantly for me is that this product was developed by an experienced ID specifically for application with Storyline and Rise. So no explaining the use case to a third party.