Translation is not imported

I have just received the translated files (from English to Simplified Chinese) from the translation agency. Now, I have successfully imported the .xlif files into Rise, but I still continue to see the English version of the course whereas I am importing the Simplified Chinese version. Do you have any idea on the reason for this unexpected behaviour? How could I solve it?

 

22 Replies
Allison LaMotte

Hi Alessio,

In most cases, we've found that people run into this issue when they try to manually translate the XLIFF file instead of using translation software. I would reach out to your translation agency and make sure they're using translation software for their translations.

If they confirm that they did indeed use translation software, please reach out to our Support Team so they can take a look. You can submit a case here.

In the meantime, if there's anything else I can do to help, please let me know!

Lester Cockerill

Ok I worked out the issue (in my case). I had duplicated the original English course to create a French version and then imported the translated xlif. However, as that xlif originated from the original English course it didn't work. I therefore had to do a new export from the duplicated course, have that one translated and then re-import. Hope that helps someone...

Crystal Horn

Perfect work, Lester. Thanks for clarifying and for letting us know in both the forum and your case. ☺️

To summarize, after duplicating your course, perform the export from the duplicate since you'll be importing the translation back into that version.

Let us know if you need anything else!

Matt Garton

I want to reply and say I have this bug to and might be opening a support ticket.

I work for a very large international localization company that specializes in eLearning. My office alone does many RISE courses each month.

Once and awhile, we get a file that says import was successful but it remains in English.

for example, I have a course in to 5 languages. 4 worked (imported) into their target courses fine fine, 1 did not. All were duplicated from the same master EN file at the same time. Labeled for their target languages, and then XLF created from each copy andthen translated (with CAT [computer aided translation] tools, not by hand).

The only fix I've found that works is to re-duplicated EN, make a new extract, re-clean (what we call moving translations from a Translation Memory into a target file) and import.

That has worked so far, but now I have one that no matter how many times we duplicate and re-prepare files, it never imports. 

Matt Garton

We finally got it to import. So here's the thing.

Normally when this happens, we can make a copy of the EN (English) again, make a new XLFF, translate, and it will import.

This time, that didn't work. Multiple times.

But what did, was copying it to a different account all together, new XLFF, translate, and import worked.

I'd share it (after I get permission on this one as well), but you might not see the problem, since sharing it seems to fix the problem.

Thoughts?

Matt Garton

The case with Robert is different.

In that case, we found that text in the XLF that did not appear in the course.

Upon closer inspection the text is the "dummy" text that is put in elements when you create them. My guess is that a box was created, then deleted, but the text remained in the database.

Even though the text does not appear in the course itself, our client ended up paying to translate words (a small amount) not needed and during client review the reviewer was confussed where that text was coming from. So that's the issue.

Alyssa Gomez

Hi there, Matt. We want to try recreating this issue on our end, and we need a little more help from you. Specifically...

  • What web browser were you using to author the Rise 360 course?
  • Do you know which block type was deleted?

It's possible that the filler text came from a block type that can be converted to other blocks. For example, if you add a Paragraph with Heading block, then change it to a Paragraph block, the heading text is preserved in the background in case you want to switch it back. 

If you know which block type caused the issue, that clue could help us nail down a solution!

Trish McKinney

This --> "In most cases, we've found that people run into this issue when they try to manually translate the XLIFF file instead of using translation software."<--Should be fixed to allow for translation via more common tool/output format.
Other Articulate products have the option to handle translations EITHER as XLIFF OR a format that 99% of the population can access/edit, but NOT RISE. Although I do appreciate that RISE is unique, it sometimes makes the "things we thought we had figured out" more challenging.

Link to enhancement request please. -T

Kristen Bjork

I am having the same problem as others. I am testing out this process--I exported the course, then translated just a little bit of it and imported. The import is successful, yet the text in the course has not changed. This is really going to be a problem for me, as translating individual blocks is just what I had expected to avoid...

Matt Garton

Hi Kristen,

I don't do the "engineering" as we call it at my company on the xlf, but I know simply updating the English text isn't enough.
When you look at the XLF, you see tags on either end of each part.

In an XLF, immediately after, you put the translation you want for that inside tags.

Example:
This sentence is the English source content and stays in English
This is where the translated version of the source would go.

If you are doing that part correctly, then I would try making a copy of your course, exporting the XLF, and try again.

Best of luck!