Use of Cookies

Nov 12, 2020

Dear All,

Could someone let me know which cookies are used in articulate 360; especially in rise and storyline? Thank you very much.

Best regards,

Sabine

7 Replies
Sabine Schmitz

Dear Crystal,

Thank you very much for your answer. I have already seen the Cookies section. However since I am not really an expert, it is hard for me to understand more about the cookies which are used within the different apps. Can you maybe help me out with information about these, so which app uses which cookies? This is what I would need to know.

Thank you very much.

Best regards,

Sabine

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Sabine! The only Articulate 360 apps that use cookies are our web-based apps, Review 360 and Rise 360. 

In this list of cookies, you'll see the specific cookies we use for each of those products:

• Rise 360 cookies are listed under rise-runtime.articulate.com and rise.articulate.com
  • Review 360 cookies are listed under 360-review-sockets.articulate.com
Sabine Schmitz

Dear Alyssa,

Thank you very much. This was already very helpful. I do not want to use cookies in rise modules anymore. I have therefore deactivated the privacy field in the articulate 360 desktop app under preferences. I have then exported a rise module. However there will still be a file called analytics-frame.html. Does that mean that there will still a tracking take place towards articulate?

Also: If storyline content is included in the rise module, do I need to publish these content bits as well again and might that be the reason why the analytics-fram.html is shown?

Best regards,

Sabine

Sabine Schmitz

While analysing the export of an Articulate course published for a web release, we stumbled upon certain data privacy related questions.

Most important, what is the “analytics-frame.html” used for?
What kind of information is gathered by Articulate?
How to globally opt-out of sending usage data completely?

It seems that disabling tracking according to https://articulate.com/de-DE/support/article/Articulate-360-Opt-Out-of-Sending-Usage-Data-to-Articulate-by-Changing-Your-Privacy-Preference?_ga=2.83133270.1960111933.1606225163-1403101373.1606225163 does not work properly. The “analytics-frame.html” is still present and so are the settings to suppress analytics (suppressAnalytics: false).

Crystal Horn

Hi Sabine. When you export your Rise 360 course, you'll need to suppress the analytics in the Storyline portion of the course. You'll follow essentially the same process that we describe here. The Storyline output is contained within your Rise 360 output. Look in the assets folder, and with your media files, you'll see a folder that contains the Storyline files.

This article also contains details about what information we gather in this section. There isn't a way to opt out of these analytics globally; you'll need to do this for every Storyline and Studio course.

Here's some information about the analytics-frame.html file from the link that Alyssa shared above:

We recently discovered a bug [2 years ago] that caused the referring URL to be present within the header of the anonymous analytic event that is sent to Articulate when learners launch a course.  This URL can be verbose, especially when the course has been published for xAPI, and it creates the false appearance that Articulate is collecting more information than we need.

Even though the referring URL isn’t saved anywhere on Articulate’s servers, we wanted to force the referring URL to be less detailed.  We weren’t able to prevent the event from including the domain that referred it, but we cut it down to only the domain (not the full URL).  The analytics-frame.html file is what allows us to do this.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.