Using the XLIFF import feature for translation - why does it not work?

Mar 18, 2024

Hi,

I have used every resource provided here, followed the instructions, and I'm still unable to get a good result.

Has anyone achieved success exporting an XLIFF file getting translated into a tool like Smartcat and then importing it back to the Rise course? I am keen to hear some success stories and how it worked for them.

My steps were:

1. Duplicate copy
  2. Rename copy  (so that it is not “Copy of XXX”)
  3. Export XLF
  4. Upload XLF to Smartcat for translation.
  5. Download XLIFF file from Smartcat
  6. Import the XLIFF file to the same Rise course that I exported the XLF file from.
  7. The result comes up with a mismatch error in Rise

Question: when I uploaded the XLF file to Smartcat Translations, the output file name is different, for example.

1. File name exported from Rise = xx-xx-xx-xx-xx.xlf

2. File name exported from Smartcat = xx-xx-xx-xx-xx(en-cs).xliff

Could this be the issue? That the filename is different? If so, how do I fix this?

Thanks

2 Replies
Babita Mundra

Update, this in now fixed. The error was due to the different file extension name. To fix this, do the following in Smartcat when downloading the translated file:

1. click the download arrow

2. Select Resulting File (with drop-down arrow) which is at the bottom of the drop-down list.

3. It shows two options: confirmed edits only and with unconfirmed edits. Choose the second option that says default.

Many thanks to Jan from Articulate Support who helped to fix this.

Luciana Piazza

Hi Babita, 

Great news! I'm so glad to hear my colleague Jan was able to assist you within your support case! 

Thanks for sharing your workaround in this thread. I'm sure it will be helpful to others who come across this post in the future. Let us know if any other questions come up, we're happy to help!

I hope that you have a wonderful start to your week!