What's your course update process?

Sep 06, 2023

My team is seeking some guidance on course updates. For context, we're mostly working with Rise and Storyline to produce courses using material we're given or material we're traferring to an online format. We're finding, however, that certain "core" courses that feature our sales process, vendors or systems, and customer messaging, for example, seem to continuously need updates. So we're wondering: How do you go about updating courses when you're informed of needed changes? Do you gather the changes and make updates periodically? Do you update right away? We'd love to hear what others are doing so we can find a better way to manage this. Thanks in advance!

2 Replies
Judy Nollet

I've seen this handled different ways. The "best" approach really depends on the amount and impact of the change, how frequently changes are made, ands how the courses are assigned. 

For example, suppose there's a course about how to use a specific piece of software. If there's a major change in one part of that software, you might rush a "delta" course to users that describes only that change. Then update the overall software course for its next release, so that new employees will be trained on the updated software. (There's no need for them to know "how it used to work.")

I'd also suggest doing a thorough needs analysis that also looks at how often given "core" topics change. That might give you better ways to divvy up the topics. For example, a topic that frequently needs updates could be put on its own in a shorter course, rather than having it within a longer course in which the other content is fairly stable.

Bottom line: It depends!  😄