Forum Discussion

Spencer
Community Member
22 days ago

Request: Expanded Format Painter Options

Sounds simple, but also a bit vague, and gradually more complex. To clarify, I think a massive time saving feature would be to add a potential menu that allows users to check/uncheck additional options they want copied and pasted over with the Format Painter.

For example, the user would go over to the Format Painter > Right Click, and then be presented with a cursor menu of options that could look something like:

• "Include 'Crop from' properties"
  • "Only use 'Crop from' properties"
  • "Include 'Size and rotate' properties"
  • "Only use 'Size and rotate' properties"
  • "Include 'Position' properties"
  • "Only use 'Position' properties"
  • "Include 'Horizontal' or X property"
  • "Only use 'Horizontal' or X property"
  • "Include 'Vertical' or Y property"
  • "Only use 'Vertical' or Y property"

This might sound a bit out there, but I think it could be a powerhouse when it comes to saving time. Here are a couple examples:

• Selecting and option like "Only use 'Crop from' properties" could speed up photo cropping sevenfold.
  • Using "Include 'Vertical' or Y property" could easily help developers make sure their headers or text are consistently aligned on all slides with ease. 
  • Clicking "Include 'Size and rotate' properties" could drastically speed up global edits to the course that may be beyond editing the Master template. 

This could take a tedious task that could take up to half an hour to complete manually, and turn it into one that only takes a couple minutes and a few clicks. 

Potential issues: This could get a bit tricky when variables don't match up. For example, with the 'Crop from' option; what would happen if I applied a crop that was larger than the image it was being applied to? What would happen to the image? Perhaps there's an alternative option to the output, or maybe just an error popup stating it would be outside its parameters. Applying size and rotation properties? What happens to the states? Do the states also resize and rotate to match? Should we include 'States' as one of the options above? What if I want to copy the formatting of something but don't want to copy its states - can I deselect that?

No RepliesBe the first to reply