Presenter ‘09 offers a lot of flexibility in the way you design your content slides, and if you’re incorporating a quiz or survey in your course, you can extend that same look and feel to your quiz slide too. You do this by leveraging PowerPoint slide masters in your presentation, and allowing a master slide to show through the player area of your quiz. This tutorial shows how.
Stwp 1: Customize Your Quiz Player Template
The player area around your quiz slides defaults to a gray color and includes several player features—but you can make the player transparent and remove any player features you don’t need, by following these steps:
- Open your quiz in Quizmaker and select Player Templates.
- Click Edit.
- Choose Colors and Effects, and then click the Edit button next to the color scheme.
- Using the selector at the bottom of the color scheme editor, choose Frame and then select any frame element. Change its transparency to 100%. Continue doing this for the other elements in the frame until all of them are set to 100% transparent.
- Click OK and name the new color scheme you just created. Once you do this, the new color scheme will automatically get applied to your quiz player template.
- Now click the Layout tab. Unmark any items that you don’t want to appear on your quiz player template. If you unmark everything on this screen, only the Submit button will remain on the template.
- Click OK and name the new player template you just created.
- Now click Save and Return to Presenter (if you opened your quiz from within Presenter) or save your changes and close Quizmaker (if you opened your quiz from outside of Presenter).
Stwp 2: Tell Presenter to Let Your Master Slide Show Through
Next, you’ll change your presentation options in Presenter to allow slide master layouts to show through on your quiz placeholder slides:
- On the Articulate menu, select Presentation Options.
- Select the Publish tab.
- Mark the box that says Include slide master behind quizzes and interactions.
- Click OK.
Stwp 3: Create and Apply a Master Slide in PowerPoint
Finally, you’ll need to think about what kind of slide master layout you want to show through from behind your quiz, and apply that layout to the quiz placeholder slide:
- If you haven’t created a slide master layout yet, click the View tab on the PowePoint ribbon... ...then select Slide Master......and then create whatever look you want to apply to your slides.
- When you’re finished creating your slide master layouts, click Close Master View.
- Once your slide masters are set up, you can apply a master layout to your quiz placeholder slide by right-clicking on the slide thumbnail, choosing Layout, and selecting the layout you want to use:
That’s it! Now, when you publish your project from Presenter, your master slide will show through behind your quiz, like this:
What About the Feedback Popup?
One thing to keep in mind is that the same transparency you applied to your quiz player will also affect any feedback popups that you use in your quiz. The transparency could make the popups too difficult for your learners to read, in which case you can either turn off the question feedback in your questions, or branch your learners to customized blank slides for feedback.