Using Scrolling Panels in E-Learning #273

Scrolling Panels in E-Learning #273: Challenge | Recap

A common design challenge for course designers is finding ways to break down and organize content into small, digestible chunks. Tabs and accordion interactions can do this by grouping related content into meaningful sections. Labeled graphics are another popular click-and-reveal interaction that lets learners pull information by clicking interactive markers.

But sometimes the content still won't easily fit on the slide. When shrinking or chunking content isn't an option, try adding an interactive scrolling panel.

Scrolling panels are a great way to present large images, lengthy text blocks and other graphics that don’t fit well on a slide. And that’s what this week’s challenge is all about!

Challenge of the Week

This week, your challenge is to share one or more ideas for using scrolling panels in e-learning courses.

New Entries Only!

We hosted our first scrolling panel challenge three years ago and the entries were amazing. To keep things fresh, we’re asking you share a new entry or rework a previous example for this week’s challenge.

User Guide

Share Your E-Learning Work

• Comments: Use the comments section below to share a link to your published example and blog post.
  • Forums: Start  your own thread and share a link to your published example..
  • Personal blog:  If you have a blog, please consider writing about your challenges. We’ll link back to your posts so the great work you’re sharing gets even more exposure.
  • Twitter: If you share your demos on Twitter or LinkedIn, try using #ELHChallenge so your tweeps can track your e-learning coolness.

Last Week’s Challenge:

Before you dive into this week’s challenge, check out the fantastic tabs interactions your fellow community members shared over the past week:

Tabs Interactions in E-Learning #272

Tabs Interactions in E-Learning #272: Challenge | Recap

Wishing you a scrolltastic week, E-Learning Heroes!

New to the E-Learning Challenges?

The weekly e-learning challenges are ongoing opportunities to learn, share, and build your e-learning portfolios. You can jump into any or all of the previous challenges anytime you want. I’ll update the recap posts to include your demos.

187 Comments
Justine Swain
Joanna Hammond
Bernie Tremblay

Hi Joanna, The design is so nice and clean - I aspire for my work to look this nice (which is why I am here) :) Umm, potential feedback/suggestions etc... Perhaps consider if there is value to set each recipe layer to "Reset to initial" state so that if you revisit a recipe you will be at the top instead of, potentially, at the bottom if you scrolled the last time you visited that recipe layer. You could also see if it makes it (even just a smidge) more intuitive to navigate by having something like a hotspot that covers the entire layer but is behind all the other layer elements. And a trigger to close recipe layer when the hotspot is clicked... So you have the option to click anywhere but the recipe to close as well as the close/return arrow. I still love it as is though... Expand

Joanna Hammond
Phil Mayor
Tammy Diep
Teresa Iden