Engage '13 (and 360): SWFs Give Black Screen when Published

Nov 29, 2016

Howdy ... I followed these instructions for creating a more interactive Engage screen to insert SWFs into an Engage Step: (https://community.articulate.com/series/12/articles/adding-flash-files-in-articulate-engage). In short: 6 buttons on the screen; when each is clicked a box pops up and plays a SWF "mini movie". I've been doing this for YEARS and it's worked fine til now.

Now when I do this I get just a black screen where the movie should be. Sometimes (in Articulate 360). I tied both publishing the Engage "stand alone" as well as within it's original Presenter GUI (no joy). It shows a bar at the top where the movie should be and just says, "SWF"). The SWF plays fine when building the interaction stage.

Thoughts?

1 Reply
Crystal Horn

Hi Steve - thanks for reaching out.  Once you've published your content, how are you viewing it?  Do you upload your content into a web server or an LMS, or are you viewing it right out of the published output folder?

If you are viewing it locally prior to uploading it into its final environment, you might be running into Flash Player restrictions in your browser.  Since browser and Flash Player versions are perpetually updating, this might explain the sudden change in functionality.

Also, you'll want to be sure that Flash Player is still enabled in the browser in which your viewing your content.  Engage '13 is supported in these browsers for Flash output:

Flash Player 10.3 or later, and one of the following browsers:

• Windows: Internet Explorer 6 and later, Microsoft Edge (latest version), Firefox 1.x and later, Google Chrome (latest version), Opera 9.5 and later
  • Mac: Safari 3 and later, Firefox 1.x and later, Google Chrome (latest version)
  • Linux: Firefox 1.x and later

Engage 360 is supported in these browsers for Flash output:

• Windows: Internet Explorer 8 or later, Microsoft Edge (latest version), Google Chrome (latest version), Firefox (latest version)
  • Mac: Safari (latest version), Google Chrome (latest version), Firefox (latest version)

You're welcome to share your Engage .intr file here, too, for us to do some testing if you're meeting the above requirements.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.