Hold for Narration

Sep 08, 2016

How can I force the learner to wait until the narration is complete before proceeding? I still want them to click Next to continue, so Presentation-style is not preferable.

Thank you for your help.

Tina

4 Replies
Crystal Horn

Hi Tina!  There isn't a way to disable the Next button until narration completes on each element, unfortunately.  Presentation-style would be your only option, and I know you said it isn't really the setup you're going for.  

Would you want your learner to have more time on each interaction step so that it doesn't advance automatically when they aren't ready?  If so, you can tweak the "Display slides with audio or video" to a longer time allowance to at least give a buffer.  Steps without audio will display for as long as you determine.

Here's our Engage '13 User Guide article on Playback mode, which gives a little more information.

Tina Hoskins

Thanks Crystal,

I changed the Player/Menu/Settings to Restricted navigation. I have uploaded audio into the slides and the interactions. When I play the course, the Next button appears on slides but does not work until the narration has finished; this is what I want it to do. However, on interactions, the Next button appears and I am able to click the Next button at any time, even though the narration has not finished. I would like the interactions to do the same thing as the slides. Reading different articles online, I was under the impression there is a way to accomplish this, besides using the Presentation setting. Is this possible?  

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Tina!

When course navigation is Restricted in Articulate Presenter '13, learners won't be able to advance past an embedded interaction until it's complete. An interaction is considered complete when learners reach the last step of the interaction.

Is this what you're seeing? Do you have multiple steps in your interaction? Without the presentation mode, if the user reaches the last step (even if there is narration) the user will be able to proceed.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.