Brief list of settings (Enabled/Disabled, etc) to minimize viewing failures for HTML5 and FLASH 360 Presentations?

May 07, 2018

We are receiving an increasing number of user complaints about e-modules/slides/videos stalling or not playing at all.  I'm aware of these basic specs for viewing:

But what I can't seem to find anywhere, and what would be really helpful to know (or at least rule out) is, what additional settings must the typical end-user have on their machines to view Articulate 360 content?

Is there a comprehensive list of all required settings in order to better guarantee successful viewing?  Both for FLASH and HTML5?

If I could be pointed to some resource that spells this all out, I could re-post for our users and maybe things would improve?

Thank you,
Brandon

5 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Brandon,

It looks like you've got an older list of viewing requirements. Here's the current needs for Studio 360 content:

HTML5

Windows: Internet Explorer 10 or later, Microsoft Edge (latest version), Google Chrome (latest version), Firefox (latest version)

Mac: Safari (latest version), Google Chrome (latest version), Firefox (latest version)

Mobile: Safari in Apple iOS 8 or later, Google Chrome in Apple iOS 8 or later, Google Chrome in Android OS 4.1 or later

Flash

Adobe Flash Player 10.3 or later plus any of these web browsers:

Windows: Internet Explorer 8 or later, Microsoft Edge (latest version), Google Chrome (latest version), Firefox (latest version)

Mac: Safari (latest version), Google Chrome (latest version), Firefox (latest version)

What types of issues or problems are your users running into? 

Brandon Weidner

Thanks Ashley, I will paste here a message from one of our users where she gives more such details:

I'm not sure I can tell you exactly what I'm using, in my office, but it appears to be an HP XL5. I'm told by one of our techs, here, that it's pretty much an antique and I should request a replacement. That's the best I can tell you about the computer itself.

I also cannot tell you much about what version of Flash that we have installed, because I'm just not entirely sure how to figure it out. However, I can tell you I'm using what appears to be Chrome 60.0.3.3112.78, IE 11, and Firefox 52.7.4. I'm not sure about the Flash version, but I'll chalk that up to my relative technical ignorance on how to check.

At home I'm using a 2012 MacBook Pro, (which is also an Antique), but I"m on OS X 10.11 (Capitan) and Safari 11.1. I've been too busy to follow-up with my coursework at home, but I was finally able to open and finish Module 1.04, at work, using the attachment you sent yesterday.

I have absolutely no idea what was different between that zip file and the first zip file, but it worked.

Thank you again, for all of your help and continued support/patience. I really appreciate it.

V/r
-a

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Brandon,

It does sound like they are using some older browsers and hardware as well! I'd suggest that your users look at ensuring Chrome, Firefox, etc. install and update to the latest versions automatically. 

Also, lots of browsers have started to block Flash by default, and if you've published for Flash first/HTML5 fallback that may cause playback issues for those users. Instead of trying to direct them how to install or enable Flash which can vary based on browser, OS version, and even their own security settings you could look at publishing for HTML5 first with a Flash fallback. That set up would benefit the majority of users who will be on updated browsers. 

There aren't any standard security settings to enable/disable, as it can really vary by company, individual, and even browser version but those two tips above should help ensure they're able to access content! 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.