Publishing to Web

Jan 17, 2012

I have limited experience publishing Articulate. I've successfully published to Blackboard, published for web and saved as zip to upload to Google Sites or email (I have a contract position at a college).  I was hoping to publish a Presenter project to our nonprofit website (hosted on Network Solutions) so that users could access and view it on the site (like Blackboard). We're a 2.5 FTE and I'm the technology "expert"!  At the time of  publishing to web - Articulate defaults to the hard drive but you can enter a directory path. I was unable to receive any help from Network Solutions Help Desk and have no idea as to how to access this directory path.  NS indicated I didn't have access to root directories on their Unix-based system.  Also, am unable to upload the zip file to NS.  Any help or guidance or workaround would be appreciated. 

FYI the project is an asynchronous e-Learning on prescription drug misuse prevention for middle school students and parents.  Maybe I jumped the gun when I wrote the grant to cover the purchase of Articulate Studio!?! Thanks very much!  Best regards, Paula

8 Replies
Paula Galvin

Thanks Peter.  I did reference that resource (and some others) - and summarized it for Network Solutions during my help chat with them.  I didn't receive any help regarding a directory path or what to do with the FTP file once it was uploaded.  I did upload it but then didn't know how I was supposed to access it for user availability on our website.  I had this conversation about two weeks ago and was so mad decided to postpone dealing with the issue and focus on other ongoing design/development projects.

My problem primarily regards the bridge between the rapid authoring tool and the delivery technology.  My background is communications, design, presentation, and marketing (and a certain degree of troubleshooting) -- not whatever is behind the CMS curtain.

For the purpose of our project work group I created a blog on WordPress and uploaded the Articulate  zip files for review to the file Box widget. 

This seems to be a perfect example of what Tom K. presented during his webinar yesterday regading the skills sets of the "instructional designer" and the "democratization" of technology.

Thanks so much for your response.

Best regards.

Katherine Herbert

Hi Peter,

As an aside, if I published presenter, engage or quizmaker to the web on my local drive, then copied this file onto a CD so that my client could upload it to their web server, will that work? I am creating all these elearns but the client will not give me access to their FTP. After the client uploads to their webserver, how then does it display on their website? I am getting technical questions from their IT department who apparently do not have the time to read through the support materials here (even after many teleconferences of trying to direct them to these forums). I am an ID, not a systems person, so there are things lost in translation... I am hoping someone can direct me somewhere so that I can explain it to the IT guys.

Thanks

Peter Anderson

Hi Katherine!

It's important to publish your presentation for the environment you intend to use it in, i.e. web, CD, LMS, etc. If your client plans on uploading the presentation to their web server, you'll want to publish the presentation for the web and have them follow the instructions for FTP upload. I hope that clears things up, and let us know if you or your client have any further questions. Thanks, and good luck!

Katherine Herbert

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your speedy reply - but I work remotely - therefore I either send clients the published modules on CD (I publish files to CD), via dropbox (I publish files to Web) or they give me access to their FTP or LMS (I publish to intended environment as I have always done) and I upload..... however, this particular client does not want to give me access. I have already published to the web, that is all good, I just need to pass it on to them and their IT department want to upload themselves. What do you think? Can I do it via CD or dropbox (with the files published to web already)?

Thanks again

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.