SCORM2004 publish missing files

Nov 26, 2012

I have three presenter modules - each has the same blend of content - some engage, some quizzes, audio and video, and Flash.

They are all being published the same way.

When I publish the first one, I get the following folders:

common

lms
player
unique
vocab
And it works on the LMS.
When I publish the second one, I don't get those folders, just:
common
data
extend
And it doesn't work.  Publish settings are the same.  Any reason why the output is so different?
12 Replies
Christine Hendrickson

Hi Jeremy,

That is strange. Are there any significant differences in the file paths or file names?

Here's something you might want to check:

If you publish an Articulate Presenter '09 presentation and find that the expected output is incomplete (one or more files or folders are missing) or if the “View Presentation” button on the Publish Successful dialog does not work, please review the following article for solutions:

http://www.articulate.com/support/presenter09/kb/?p=3743

Christine Hendrickson

Hi J,

Thanks for getting back to me!

It may be due to the version of SCORM that your LMS supports. There's a little more information on that in this thread and this thread.. If it's working in 1.2 and not in 2004, 1.2 may just be the version that your current LMS is supporting. What LMS are you using? You might want to double-check with them, just to make sure. 

Jeremy Bivins

It sort of can't be an LMS SCORM issue as Module 1 works fine.  And has those output folders.

Let me ask this...  those folders in the SCORM 2004 output for module 1...  lms, unique and vocab for example.  Are those supposed to be part of any SCORM 2004 publish?  So like if you publish a course of yours as SCORM 2004, would your output contain those folders? 

Thanks!

Jeremy Bivins

Ok, so it seems to be that presentation.  I just published the third of the three and it has those folders and works fine.

So given that the content is exactly of the same nature and there isn't any elaborate folder names/spaces to give AP a hiccup, what could it be?

I've tried saving the presentation to a different name in a different folder, and the publish was the same.

Christine Hendrickson

Hi Jeremy,

Sorry it took so long for me to get back to you. I'm glad to hear that the folders are showing up properly for the third presentation, but I'm wondering what might be causing the second from generating the folders, as well. Since it's only occurring with one presentation file, I'm thinking that the file may be corrupt. Is the presentation fairly large? If not, you might want to try recreating it. If it's too large to recreate entirely, you could try just recreating a small portion of it to see if it happens in a new presentation.

If you're able to reproduce this in a new presentation, you may want to follow the troubleshooting instructions in this knowledge base article.

If you're not able to reproduce this in the new presentation, it may just be a problem with the second presentation file. If you'd like, we'd be happy to take a closer look at the Presenter Package. If you do submit the file, please share the case number with me, so I can follow the progress and see what's causing this.

Thanks again, Jeremy!

Christine Hendrickson

Hi Jeremy,

I agree, I don't think it's an OS issue. Please go ahead and submit a support case with our tech team. They'll be able to perform more extensive testing with the files.

If you'd like, you can also provide the URL to this forum thread. This way our tech support team will have access to all the information you've already posted, so you won't need to list everything you've tried in your case.

Thanks!

Jeremy Bivins

Christine,

I have one potential difference.  These are all video heavy modules (the three), and 1 and 2 have the least amount of video, and are therefore under 250 MB.  Module 3 has half the number of pages but twice the video, and tops out at a whopping 400+MB.

Could the size be throwing Articulate for a loop?  I know with Flash, we had a frame limit beyond which we couldn't publish.  Is there a size limit, beyond which SCORM2004 publishes fail?

Again, SCORM 1.2 seems to publish fine.  The client just wants them consistent.

Thanks!

J

Christine Hendrickson

Hi J,

Just curious, are the media/video files in the project not producing the additional files local? Make sure that you're not inserting them from a USB, network drive, etc. Happened to think about that as I was reading through all of this information, again. If I asked it already and missed it, I apologize. 

I don't think it would be related to size, if the third project is working correctly (it's the second one that's not publishing properly, right?). If it is the third that's not publishing properly, since the rebuild, I'm still thinking it might be videos. Have you tried just taking out the videos and publishing - or better yet, maybe try with the videos from one of the modules that is publishing properly?

It's difficult for me to look into the issue entirely from just the forums. I'd really like to see this passed on to our tech team so we can properly test this and get a definite answer for you

Thanks, J!

Jeremy Bivins

So no on the USB.  Everything is local.  I'm currently pulling out the videos one at a time and then republishing.  I'll let you know the results of that, whether it's a specific video, or a file size.

If this doesn't work, I'll package it up and send it along.
It's the third one that's not working.
#1 is like 179 MB
#2 is 225
#3 is 448
Jeremy Bivins

Ok, unless someone has evidence to the contrary, I think there may be a 400 mb limit to SCORM2004 publishing on Articulate Presenter.  It did seem to publish fine in SCORM 1.2 though.  To get under and then back above the 400 mb mark, I just played with the included videos:

When I deleted 2 of the videos, the published file size was 375, and SCORM2004 publish worked.

When I added one of them back, the published file size was 401 and it was incomplete.

This is probably pretty easy for your support team to test.  And would be a good thing for users to know if they have a video heavy course like my client's.

J

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.