Securing e-Learning

May 14, 2012

We’re trying to develop e-learning courses using our content to license them to companies.  These companies will put the courses on their web sites and let their employees access the courses.  Our concern is that the viewers of the courses could capture the courses and “share” them freely. So we have several questions.  Although we want some control, we understand that we can only control so much.

1.      How hard is to capture and replay a course made with Storyline (or Studio 09) given the segmented structure of the output that includes Flash and HTML files?

2.      Is it possible to obfuscate the Flash files in the output? Has anybody done it? Does it play reliably? What are the drawbacks of this approach?

3.      Is there any way to add a limit of time and/or views to a course that will reside in our customer server (not in ours)? 

4.      Is there any other ways to let the clients have the courses, but we control until when they can play it, how many times they view it and that the users can’t copy and redistribute the course?

We’re new to e-learning, so maybe I’m asking the wrong questions.  Please feel free to redirect me if so.

Thank you for any help you give us on any of my questions. 

1 Reply
Bruce Graham

Here's my take on this.....

If someone REALLY wants to - they can buy 1 x licence, then rig their PC upto a projector and a sound system, and fill the room with 200 employees.

This is a great question to ask...I have been asking it in a variety of ways since 2001, and have never really got a good answer yet! At the end of the day, you have (to some extent...) to rely on good old fashioned trust and fair play.

I'm sure others will chime in here, but at the end of the day there's only a certain amount that you can do.

Hope you find the answer!

Bruce

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.