The PPTA file seems to be getting large

Building a large quantity of similar training modules. Each has a Flv video on two of the slides. When creating the next module, I'm just deleting the inserted flv file and adding the correct one and saving as another name. It seem that every time I do this the ppta file gets larger and as I'm deleting the flv and adding the correct one, It takes a very long time to get to the point where I can add the correct flv file and I see it cycling through all the old flv files I've already deleted from the last several modules. Looks as though when adding a flv file, it is embeding it into the ppta and when removing the flv from a slide the embedded data remains in the ppta. Anyone else dealing with this and how do I get rid of all the old flvs that are seemingly ebedded?

7 Replies
Arthur Binotti

Will the publishing eliminate all the references to the past flv files that I've added and then deleted or does it retain that info? It seems that when I go to rename the ppt to another name and change most of the contents, including deleting flv files and adding new, that it seems to always take an enormous amount of time uppacking all the previously deleted flv files before it let's me add the correct ones.

Beatriz Castellanos

Hello,

I have the same problem... but closing Power Point did not solve the issue (the PPTA file keeps growing).

I'm not very "technical", so I guess I better explain a bit what I do with this particular series of modules I'm working with: inserting the Flash files does not work with these specific videos (not sure if it is because of the software used to create the simulations = Captivate 5.5), so 

- I open the corresponding HTM file

- Rename as "Index"

- Insert a web object in the slide pointing to the specific Index file

The first module I published was good, but the PPTAs for the following modules are bigger and bigger (and I have 18 of them), the last one I published ended with 280 MB

Note: I need to publish to LMS - SCORM 1.2

What else can I do?

Thanks!

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Beatriz and Welcome to E-Learning Heroes!

 

Please be sure that you are working, modifying, and saving your project on your local hard drive.

  • Work on your local drive (your C: drive). Working on a network drive or a USB drive can cause erratic behavior, including file corruption, loss of audio, and other unexpected behavior. 
  • You should also make sure the directory path to your project files and your published output is less than 260 characters (for example C:\Articulate).
  • Avoid using special characters, accents or symbols in your file names (this includes spaces and underscores).

Additional information regarding "Naming Files, Paths,and Namespaces" in Windows operating systems can be found in thefollowing Microsoft article.

 

If you need some more information about adding Captivate movies to Presenter, you can find those here and here

 

It is expected that as you add more movies to your file, it will grow larger. 

 

If you still need assistance, you can package up your course and submit it as part of a Support Case.

 

 

 

 

Beatriz Castellanos

Hello... sorry for this late response (I had a couple of VERY busy training days).

Since I'm working in my local C drive, and my directory path is not really that long... what I did was transferring the files of all the 18 modules to an external storage drive, just keeping in C the module "under development". That has actually solved the problem, I have published 5 modules already and none of them exceeds 25 MB.

I still have the feeling that the Index file was somehow... keeping track of all the web objects, even when I was working with different modules (but cannot confirm that).

Thank you!