Vimeo embedded videos playing on a secure HTTPS LMS

Hey,

I thought it might be useful to let you know of a recent experience just in case anyone else comes across it. Recently a number of SCORM modules on our LMS wouldn't play the embedded videos (using Chrome). This change happened at the same time that the site had been made secure (HTTPS).

We checked our embed code (from Vimeo) to see if that code needed changing. The code looked like this:

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/109253987" width="500" height="375" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

So the first thing we noticed is that there isn't a HTTP or HTTPS in it. On checking with Vimeo we find that this is because it is 'protocol relative' meaning it should work on HTTP or HTTPS.

So we were confused about why our videos weren't playing. We investigated further. When we were running the e-learning and got to the part where the video should play there was just a white box where the video should be. On right clicking that and selecting 'Developer Tools' we could see a message that says was loaded over HTTPS, but requested an insecure resource 'http://player.vimeo.com/video/109253987'; this request has been blocked; the content must be served over HTTPS. 

So it seemed that even though our embeded code had no HTTP or HTTPS in it, a HTTP appeared itself after publishing the module.

I logged this with Omniplex support who suspect that Studio may add HTTP by default if not otherwise specified.

Just thought this may be useful to others out there who are using a secure LMS and maybe having the same problem. We got over it by having to change all the embed codes. Once we pasted the embed code in from Vimeo, we just added the https: before clicking OK. Like this (shown underlined)

<iframe src="/https:/player.vimeo.com/video/109253987" width="500" height="375" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

It meant we had to republish all our modules and upload them again to the LMS but we are just relieved we found the fix - Always difficult when there are so many involved (Vimeo, LMS chaps and Articulate) It can sometimes take a while to find out where the problem is.

Hope it can help someone out there! ;)

 

 

5 Replies