Quizmaker 2013 - Submit button and review mode

Jun 09, 2014

I am having the following problems with a quiz that was created using Quizmaker 2009 and has been converted to Quizmaker 2013 format:

1. The "Submit" button for the question that's being viewed needs to be clicked several times (sometimes 6 or 7 times) before the next question appears. This problem arises in "Preview" mode (in Quizmaker 2013) and in the published version (uploaded to Articulate Online) and applies to all questions.
  2. After completing the quiz and reviewing the answers, X (instead of a tick) appears alongside Correct answers i.e. the following text appears in the panel at the bottom of the screen under each question that has been answered correctly: Correct      X
  3. I can't determine how to change the colour of the panel (that contains "Correct" or "Ïncorrect") that appears under each question when in review mode.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Jon 

6 Replies
Christine Hendrickson

Hi Jon,

I apologize for the delay in response. I'm going to provide my responses to each point you raised in your post.

The "Submit" button for the question that's being viewed needs to be clicked several times (sometimes 6 or 7 times) before the next question appears. This problem arises in "Preview" mode (in Quizmaker 2013) and in the published version (uploaded to Articulate Online) and applies to all questions.

This sounds like pretty odd behavior. Since this is happening in both preview and after publishing, we may want to take a look at both the file and/or installation of Quizmaker '13.

Please make sure that you're working with local project files:

• Work on your local drive (your C: drive). Working on a network drive or a USB drive can cause erratic behavior, including file corruption, loss of audio, and other unexpected behavior. 
  • You should also make sure the directory path to your project files and your published output is less than 260 characters (for example C:\Articulate).
  • Avoid using special characters, accents or symbols in your file names (this includes spaces and underscores).

Additional information regarding "Naming Files, Paths, and Namespaces" in Windows operating systems can be found in the following Microsoft article.

If that doesn't fix the problem, please try repairing Studio '13:

Articulate Support - How to Repair Articulate Studio '13

After completing the quiz and reviewing the answers, X (instead of a tick) appears alongside Correct answers i.e. the following text appears in the panel at the bottom of the screen under each question that has been answered correctly: Correct      X

...and..
I can't determine how to change the colour of the panel (that contains "Correct" or "Ïncorrect") that appears under each question when in review mode.

These are connected. The bar at the bottom is the feedback for the review slides. The "X" you're seeing actually closes that bar, so the learner can close this to see additional content if needed. There's no built-in option for changing the bars that appear along the bottom for the "Correct" and "Incorrect" responses. 

In regards to the issue you're having with the "Submit" button;

Please let me know if the suggestions above do not help. If that's the case, it might be a good idea to share your .QUIZ file here, so I can take a look at what's happening on my end.

Best,

Christine

Jon Greenheld

Hi Christine

Thanks for your thorough response above.

I don't think my problem in respect of  the "Submit" button is caused by any of the issues you have referred to.

I have carried out further testing and it seems that (regardless of whether I'm viewing the published quiz or viewing the quiz in preview mode) the "Submit" button (and the "Next" button) will not function unless there's a delay of at least 5 seconds after selecting the answer(s) for the question i.e.

• If I select an answer (or type an answer) for a question and left click the "Submit" button immediately (or a few seconds) after selecting the answer, the next question will not appear.
  • However, if I select an answer (or type an answer) for a question and wait at least 5 seconds before left clicking the "Submit" button, the next question will appear.

[The multiple clicking I referred to in my first message was a red herring i.e. it seems that the time required to left click the "Submit" button several times merely used up the time needed for the button to respond.]

Please advise whether the time delay described above is due to any specific player property (that I can change) or is a problem that has not been experienced by other users. 

Your help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Jon

Jon Greenheld

Hi Christine

I think I have found the solution to my problem regarding the delay i.e.

• I don't have the question list appearing on the screen (I don't want it to appear on the screen) and I had set the "Question list settings" to "Locked".
  • I changed "Locked" to "Free" and this solved the problem i.e. I do not have to wait 5 seconds before clicking the "Submit" or "Next" buttons.

Given that I don't have the question list appearing on the screen, the solution described above is not logical. However, it works (Yeehaa).

Articulate Studio 2009 was very intuitive. However, in my opinion, Articulate 2013 is not intuitive.

It seems that Studio 2013 is a hybrid of Storyline, as opposed to being an enhanced version of Studio 2009.

Studio 2013 has some great features - however, it lacks some basic features (e.g. Question numbers and Points do not appear for each question in Quizmaker 2013) and does not allow the user to modify some of the elements that appear on various screens.

At this stage, I wish I could revert to Studio 2009 - however, I can't because I'm using Office 2013 and, according to Articulate, Studio 2009 and Office 2013 are not compatible.

I hope the Articulate design team quickly responds to feedback regarding Studio 2013 and improves its functionality over the next few months.

Thanks for your help.

Jon

Christine Hendrickson

Hi Jon :)

I'm very glad to hear you were able to pinpoint the issue. 

In light of that - the delay for 5 seconds may actually be the timeline. The slide is waiting for the timeline to finish before it unlocks the "Submit" or "Next" buttons. 

I believe you can modify this in your project, keep the same "Locked" settings and avoid that delay. 

The slides in Quizmaker '13 default to 5 seconds. Open your quiz and select the slide for your first question. Open the question in "Slide View". Along the bottom, you'll see the timeline. 

If your timeline is set to 5 seconds, click and drag the "End" to the left to shorten the timeline. 

You can make this as short or as long as you'd like. Just keep in mind the longer the timeline, the longer the delay. 

Let me know if this solves the issue for you.

Thanks!

Christine

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.